5 day tour of the South West Ireland 500

IMG_1385.jpg
Not wanting to let them Scots fellas behind the NC500 have it all their own way I spent a lot of time putting together a 500 mile touring route around the 5 peninsulas of South West Ireland; the SWI500. This part of the world is just as beautiful, just as rugged, just as remote (in places) but definitely less congested than the NC500 can be and of course its the beautiful west of Ireland with it's temperate, gulf stream warmed climate, and, it's part of the Wild Atlantic Way.

Now there is some light at the end of the pandemic tunnel I've resurrected the tour I had to cancel last year. It’s a 6 night, 5 day tour, all of which you can do without having to cart all your luggage around as we return to the same base each evening.

The itinerary is as follows:

Sun 5th September - arrive in Kenmare, Co. Kerry, staying at the Kenmare Bay Hotel for the week. This hotel has been chosen for a variety of reasons;
- safe off street parking for the bikes at the front of the hotel,
- within walking distance (10 mins) of Kenmare town centre,
- it has an indoor swimming pool, steam room, sauna, beauty and therapy treatment rooms all available FOC to guests.
- the food is good and the breakfasts are copious.
Sunday evening we eat together in the hotel - a kind of get to know everyone meal.
Mon 6th Sept - we head south, over the Cork & Kerry mountains (made famous by ‘Whiskey in the Jar’, Thin Lizzie and the Dubliners) via the Caha Pass to tour the Mizen & Sheepshead peninsulas
Tues 7th Sept - tour the Beara peninsula, traversing the Healy Pass
Wed 8th Sept - tour the Iveagh (Ring of Kerry) peninsula, with a variety of routes at our disposal
Thurs 9th Sept - free day - relax and explore Kenmare or suggested routes can be provided if you want to ride out.
Fri 10th Sept - tour the Dingle peninsula, taking in the Slea Head Drive and the Connor Pass
Sat 11th Sept - depart.

The tour is designed to provide relaxed touring days, no early starts, we’ll be leaving around 10am each day, no late returns and with several stops for photos, coffee/tea breaks and food; you even have me, a blow-in local, on hand each day to assist and guide.

Rooms have been booked on a B&B basis with the inclusion of a group 'get to know everyone' supper on the Sunday night. Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri nights people are free to do what they want and there are plenty of good bars and restaurants, of all standards, in Kenmare.

Costs : £790 per person on a single occupancy basis, if you’re bringing a partner then let me know as the cost/person will be less.

Included:
6 nights accommodation
6 breakfasts
1 evening meal
Dedicated parking outside the hotel (don't worry this is very low crime area, your bike will be safe)
Assistance of me as tour guide
Maps and route guidance instructions.

Not included:
Getting to and from Kenmare, although help, guidance and assistance with routes & ferries can be provided.
Bikes
Fuel
Tea/Coffee/Drinks/Lunch during the day
Evening meals on each of Mon-Fri
Travel insurance
Breakdown insurance

Payment:

£250/person deposit required when making the booking
Full balance due no later than 31st July 2021
In the event you have to pull out before 31st July you will receive a full refund of the £250 deposit
In the event you have to pull out after the 31st July deposits and any balance paid will only be refunded if your space can be re-sold.

There are 6 places available so don’t delay.
IMG_1433.jpg
IMG_3605.jpg
IMG_1398.jpg
IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_3293.jpg

That looks to be a great break Paul good luck with the bookings, if i wasn't knee deep in doom and gloom i would love to do that!!(y):love:

That looks superb WCP, I just have a niggling feeling this shitfest has not run its course.
Do you know what the rules are regarding vaccines if visiting Ireland?

That looks superb WCP, I just have a niggling feeling this shitfest has not run its course.
Enter via the north, fast boat from Cairnryan to Larne, there used to be a sea cat from Stranraer to Belfast but not sure if that still runs

I'm working on the assumption that by Sept the CTA will be back in full free movement action and those from GB will not have to quarantine, although there may be some requirement to have either had Covid or been vaccinated :confused: , especialy if @AirCon gets his way:ROFLMAO:. However, as BarryLarryHarry says if you arrive via ferry in NI you can then simply slip across the border. You're not supposed to but no-one is checking.

Alternatively, arrive in Rosslare or Dublin, I'll provide an address and an alibi, bring a bundle of documents with you and claim you're delivering important documents that cannot be trusted to the post or couriers. There are ways and means (y).

In fact these guys, Overlanders, have a tour running around the west coast at the moment, complete with GB registered bikes, although it's all on the QT.

I'm working on the assumption that by Sept the CTA will be back in full free movement action and those from GB will not have to quarantine, although there may be some requirement to have either had Covid or been vaccinated :confused: , especialy if @AirCon gets his way:ROFLMAO:. However, as BarryLarryHarry says if you arrive via ferry in NI you can then simply slip across the border. You're not supposed to but no-one is checking.

Alternatively, arrive in Rosslare or Dublin, I'll provide an address and an alibi, bring a bundle of documents with you and claim you're delivering important documents that cannot be trusted to the post or couriers. There are ways and means (y).

In fact these guys, Overlanders, have a tour running around the west coast at the moment, complete with GB registered bikes, although it's all on the QT.
Do you need dark glasses and a false beard when sneaking across the border

Back