916 SPS Advice

8maverick4

New member
Hi all,

Returning to the fold after a season without my superbike and am in the process of buying a 1997 916 SPS.

Looking for a bit of advice on buying, particularly on how to verify the bike is a genuine sps?

All the carbon parts, graphics etc I would expect to see on a 97 are present, I've seen lots of photos, it's in great condition. The SPS number is on the headstock. The V5 has 996cc bicycle (no mention of sps (unsure if this would be listed on a v5 or not).

I emailed Ducati UK but no response.

Everything the guy tells me about the bike rings true and I'm inclined to trust him. It has a full history by an independent Ducati tech.

Any advice much appreciated!
 
Heard back from Ducati within a day confirming the bike I'm looking at is a genuine SPS (going by the VIN I can see in the pictures).

Carried out an HPI check on the VRM tonight which went as expected, confirming everything the seller told me and also gave me the engine number which is the same as in the pictures sent by the seller.

However, when I added in the VIN into the check it returned this...

"The VIN is not registered with the VRM supplied"

The obvious connotations are that the bike is a ringer, or the HPI register / DVLA is wrong or not up to date. I'm also unaware if the bike has had its vrm changed at any point (eg private plate removed before sale) as Ive heard this can sometimes throw the HPI check results.

Im still waiting on the seller getting back to me with the V5 details for me to check.

Anyone had experience of this? Anything I can do to research this further as everything else checks out and seems genuine.

Am I correct in saying the VIN is on the right hand side of the headstock on this age of 916?

:confused:
 
( Am I correct in saying the VIN is on the right hand side of the headstock on this age of 916? )

Yes you are right, sorry I can't help with anything else.
Steve
 
The V5 will have the VIN number and the Engine number plus the cc which will be 996.
The V5 (mine) has no information regards it being a SPS or a Foggy rep model.
I would want to see the the bike not just photos.

brian.
 
Cheers, resolved the problem, the VIN was out by a digit (my fault during entering it into the website)

Going to see the bike before handing over the cash. It's on the Isle of Wight, so it will be a long way to go if the bike turns out to be a pig, but from the numerous HD photos I've seen, I'm hoping the gamble pays off. I think it's been the owners pride and joy for the best part of 12 years and the receipts show a lot of money spent on keeping it in good condition.

Can't wait to see it in the metal! It's been a long few months without a bike.
 
Here's lookin' at you, kid!

One of my SPS's in '04...

PICT0085.jpg


Thie kids don't look quite the same anymore ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom