All aboard the skylark

it feels like Cowboy county here. Sandwiched between two mountain ranges row upon row of vines stretch into the distance growing out of this deep oxide soil

Talking of noisy I woke at 2 to the sound of a nightingale singing his heart out right by the bedroom window, the fucker was still at it an hour later, I threw some bread in his general direction but it went unnoticed - I had to resort to closing the window in the end what a noisy bastard. He was still going at it at 8 😡. Ps he’s still at it now plus the frogs have joined in

Weather was looking dry and sunny again today with highs of 18. We’re in the Goldilocks zone of biking heaven - which for me is between 16 and 21 degrees. We can’t decide whether to go north or south but I think we will head south into Parque Natural Sierra de Ceboller today.

South it was today and we found our planned route was a ruta motera, this was shown by small signs with a motorcycle on - none of the large yellow warning signs showing a bike about to loose control that you get in the U.K. , instead an invitation to ride this road on your motorbike - perfect, they’re even put red ‘v’s in the road to show you the lines to take on the bends - it makes me wonder why us brits have got it so wrong - I can only put it down to overcrowding in the south and a bunch of Guinness in power from town council level up.

Anyway we didn’t fill up when we left the hotel as we had a fuel stop marked up on our shatnav , only when we arrive showing over 100 miles on the clock, there was no one around , then we notice a bell which we duly pushed. A few minutes later a man appeared only to tell us the pump was dry 😡. As there was no phone signal we decided to ride to the next town 6 miles away where we thought we could regroup over a coffee - only the cafe was closed 😡. After getting a signal we deduced that the nearest fuel stop was 20 miles away so off we went over a different pass to the one we’d planned . Normally my reserve comes on at 100 miles and despite having the same size tank as Martins monsters, his always does more mpg. However it’s much more relaxed riding here, none of that constant squirt and break nonsense, just bends that demand a rhythm unlike anything in the U.K. - we made it with no dramas to the next fuel station although some of the road had more patches than tarmac and 20 mph was about max ! we were soon fuelled up again. A quick stop to eat the bread and cheese procured earlier, another coffee stop then back to the hotel , about 150 miles all told ish, I’m not really counting

33D7BCFF-DDDF-4101-8860-1EA5875736DE.jpeg
07AD76F2-6073-4F74-8367-7A4CF599EB81.jpeg
1B0AABE9-3195-4D49-8AB5-258273FAA2E3.jpeg
84E75537-391D-46F3-BB42-D3EF50E54133.jpeg

Attachments

• 07982329-F7CF-4BB0-B300-95D241EFE8B3.jpeg
    07982329-F7CF-4BB0-B300-95D241EFE8B3.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 3157DDE3-D83E-42E7-94D7-200297A0F875.jpeg
    3157DDE3-D83E-42E7-94D7-200297A0F875.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 03EAE96D-44E4-4BF7-92F7-7588D11524CD.jpeg
    03EAE96D-44E4-4BF7-92F7-7588D11524CD.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 72
  • FC4A96EB-244F-4AC7-9392-6E32B39B7E05.jpeg
    FC4A96EB-244F-4AC7-9392-6E32B39B7E05.jpeg
    366.8 KB · Views: 81
  • AB76BD50-6BE4-442A-9D18-0FF00B96FC64.jpeg
    AB76BD50-6BE4-442A-9D18-0FF00B96FC64.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 0C7DACC6-726E-4172-8371-3C3700889A2D.jpeg
    0C7DACC6-726E-4172-8371-3C3700889A2D.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 80
One of the reasons we decided to venture over to Rioja yesterday was surprisingly not the wine but to sample the Chuleton which is a well known Pays Basque dish of bone in rib eye from older dairy cattle cooked over coals / I’ll let you know how that goes later. We’ve a table booked in bar sugar in the town

There has be suckling goat on a few menus but I’ve abstained, so far..

it feels like Cowboy county here. Sandwiched between two mountain ranges row upon row of vines stretch into the distance growing out of this deep oxide soil

Talking of noisy I woke at 2 to the sound of a nightingale singing his heart out right by the bedroom window, the fucker was still at it an hour later, I threw some bread in his general direction but it went unnoticed - I had to resort to closing the window in the end what a noisy bastard. He was still going at it at 8 😡. Ps he’s still at it now plus the frogs have joined in

Weather was looking dry and sunny again today with highs of 18. We’re in the Goldilocks zone of biking heaven - which for me is between 16 and 21 degrees. We can’t decide whether to go north or south but I think we will head south into Parque Natural Sierra de Ceboller today.

South it was today and we found our planned route was a ruta motera, this was shown by small signs with a motorcycle on - none of the large yellow warning signs showing a bike about to loose control that you get in the U.K. , instead an invitation to ride this road on your motorbike - perfect, they’re even put red ‘v’s in the road to show you the lines to take on the bends - it makes me wonder why us brits have got it so wrong - I can only put it down to overcrowding in the south and a bunch of Guinness in power from town council level up.

Anyway we didn’t fill up when we left the hotel as we had a fuel stop marked up on our shatnav , only when we arrive showing over 100 miles on the clock, there was no one around , then we notice a bell which we duly pushed. A few minutes later a man appeared only to tell us the pump was dry 😡. As there was no phone signal we decided to ride to the next town 6 miles away where we thought we could regroup over a coffee - only the cafe was closed 😡. After getting a signal we deduced that the nearest fuel stop was 20 miles away so off we went over a different pass to the one we’d planned . Normally my reserve comes on at 100 miles and despite having the same size tank as Martins monsters, his always does more mpg. However it’s much more relaxed riding here, none of that constant squirt and break nonsense, just bends that demand a rhythm unlike anything in the U.K. - we made it with no dramas to the next fuel station although some of the road had more patches than tarmac and 20 mph was about max ! we were soon fuelled up again. A quick stop to eat the bread and cheese procured earlier, another coffee stop then back to the hotel , about 150 miles all told ish, I’m not really counting

View attachment 47796View attachment 47797View attachment 47798View attachment 47799
Excellent choice of fuel station 👍

Fell in bed last night and slept for 10 hours - meat overload - I’ve had a few discussions with my jacket zip lately - I’m living on a hope and a prayer it will do up most days - this suit is over 10 years old and I refuse to have it taken out 😡. I’m not a wine buff so went with the chaps recommendation as there must of been over 100 bottles on display
1013C1CC-390C-4A84-8AB9-11B736852D9B.jpeg
769279A3-5153-442F-B47F-F079E19DC904.jpeg
B1D762E1-1023-46C7-8C50-255941D37981.jpeg
to chose from starting at 12 euros up to 180.

Cyclist Saturday

Decided to let Ride magazine do the work today and plugged in their Rioja tour to save us planning - it was mostly great roads but we probably saw a dozen cyclist and at least 30 Spanish motorcyclist going about their business , you can tell it’s the weekend 👀.

I’d got fed up with my usual soundtrack so decided to listen to tunes that I’d marked at some point as ‘favourites’. After a few minutes riding I realised some of my favourites were songs I’d shortlisted for mums funeral a few years ago 👀. Oh well mum your coming along for this part of the journey. The only ‘classical’ music I’ve ever really enjoyed was Peter & the wolf, the sort of fare that scares the bejesus out of a 7 year old and many years later werwolfs are still one of the few things that disturb - plus how many of you remember that Nationwide episode about them? I digress

Back at the hotel planning the route back to Santander tomorrow - wonder if Sam will be on the same ferry 😁
EC06506E-DB21-4C10-AC2D-4DC62F408C5D.jpeg
D813B448-CF46-4DDD-9805-08463A0FA894.jpeg
148A5E07-0D7D-4A42-8AEE-3DB00F965187.jpeg

Cyclist Saturday

Decided to let Ride magazine do the work today and plugged in their Rioja tour to save us planning - it was mostly great roads but we probably saw a dozen cyclist and at least 30 Spanish motorcyclist going about their business , you can tell it’s the weekend 👀.

I’d got fed up with my usual soundtrack so decided to listen to tunes that I’d marked at some point as ‘favourites’. After a few minutes riding I realised some of my favourites were songs I’d shortlisted for mums funeral a few years ago 👀. Oh well mum your coming along for this part of the journey. The only ‘classical’ music I’ve ever really enjoyed was Peter & the wolf, the sort of fare that scares the bejesus out of a 7 year old and many years later werwolfs are still one of the few things that disturb - plus how many of you remember that Nationwide episode about them? I digress

Back at the hotel planning the route back to Santander tomorrow - wonder if Sam will be on the same ferry 😁View attachment 47869View attachment 47870View attachment 47871
One of my favourites Char, baguette garlic cheese spread and dead insects :p

Char, need a big ask, by any chance can record the noise the SC project emits going through the gears at full tilt?
Mucho appreciated if you could.
Yes will do but maybe when back in brightly or it may end with a conversation in Spanish with a man in uniform

Why is it the last night looks like it could be messy , in another note Rossi has a new career I need to work out how to post a. Video
1D0EE20E-1CF5-46E5-8A58-F23FE43BB1E9.jpeg

So before I discuss today let’s finish yesterday . After the days ride we were humming and haring whether we should venture back into laguardia for supper or stay and sit on the hotels rather pleasant terrace. The previous two nights were quite but the food was good so we decided to walk the 5 minutes that took us to the ‘lift’ that took you up into this mediaeval village with its buildings clinging like limpets and cellars filled with Rioja. As we entered the walled town there were people everywhere and the place was buzzing, they say there’s a festival every day of the year in Spain. This was a festival of music and there must have been 30 groups of drums and pipes, most people had glasses of red wine in their hands with a scattering of beer drinkers. Not a sign of a plastic cup or any type of ‘security’. All the bars were full and people flowed out of them through the narrow streets (there’s no traffic in this town) singing and dancing. The atmosphere was eclectic - what a high to finish on. Especially with a round for two costing 3 euros. I have a video for @JAT when I can upload !!! We chatted to the locals and still didn’t find out what they were celebrating 👀
7A80CB87-DEF2-4341-9497-ED2FE67C884A.jpeg
1DC53549-4907-4209-8247-215393F0A96D.jpeg
42D9C227-26E4-4ABD-B76D-DB3A2753EF41.jpeg

What a dick, this station only sells diesel, supermarkets don’t open in Santander on a Sunday and other short stories

After consuming ‘several’ 👀 glasses of wine last night we ate a good breakfast in the hotel at 8 so we could be on the road at 9. The sun was shining and we knew we had an hour in had for a fuel stop, a coffee and a quick supermarket raid

The first 30 or so miles were on quite boring straight roads across the plateau but we were in no rush and the scenery was stunning. After about 20 miles we come to a long stretch of two lanes, with a WHITE LINE down the centre - even though you could see for maybe 2 miles into the distance - and a large beaten up white van. Martin sits behind it for a bit, then it pulls over slightly to the right. As I look up the road I can see in the distance TWO POLICE cars and some POLICE MEN in hi vis. The next minute i look incredulously as I see Martin OVERTAKE the white van, shorty followed by a ‘man in uniform’ wave him over.

I get waved over to but ‘I’ve done nothing wrong’ so I don’t need to show my license, it’s only Martin they give a 100 euro fine to 😁.

View attachment 47921

View attachment 47922
BA4A9DB2-97BB-4FBC-9EFA-0E4AC95B8772.jpeg
95DEF64C-F325-4B80-9584-C4BD133E7DB5.jpeg

Attachments

• 6187A94A-985C-4003-8136-15C429D4A8BB.jpeg
    6187A94A-985C-4003-8136-15C429D4A8BB.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Back home - spoon rest picture below for @Barry Hell

We were on the same ferry home as the panigale twins but still didn’t bump into them - very odd it’s almost like they were avoiding me 👀. Funny thing is on the ferry over and at several cafe stops in Spain then on the ferry home we kept bumping into the same Magellan guys - 😬 they seemed to have had a good time on their adventure bikes but I was slightly surprised they’d only covered 150 miles more than us.
bikes on the boat home seemed to be parked in all sorts of different locations but we were out through customs about 30 minutes from docking and it was a lot easier that the arrangements on Pont Aven. Smooth crossings both ways to . Our stats for the 6 nights in Spain were a smidge under 1000 miles and uncountable cups of coffee plus a bit of wine & steak !

Plans already afoot for next year, we’ve been riding together for 12 years now and I recon we’ve done over 12k miles together abroad - I think the two year ‘covidgap’ has made us that much more appreciative of our freedom to explore. Can’t wait until next May !
4A8A3B90-FC14-4335-B4E4-747ACAEE812B.jpeg
F58ED5E0-DB3F-44A8-BED5-DE64154E0B4D.jpeg

Fantastic write up. Wish I’d seen it before and we could have arranged to meet on the boat. We switched our phones to flight mode as I’d previously been hit with a big bill for nothing when a satellite locked onto my phone and updated lots of shit without me knowing. 🤷🏻

We might have been amongst the first on but absofuckinglutely the last off.

Looks like a great trip and wish I’d been at the fiesta.

What a dick, this station only sells diesel, supermarkets don’t open in Santander on a Sunday and other short stories

After consuming ‘several’ 👀 glasses of wine last night we ate a good breakfast in the hotel at 8 so we could be on the road at 9. The sun was shining and we knew we had an hour in had for a fuel stop, a coffee and a quick supermarket raid

The first 30 or so miles were on quite boring straight roads across the plateau but we were in no rush and the scenery was stunning. After about 20 miles we come to a long stretch of two lanes, with a WHITE LINE down the centre - even though you could see for maybe 2 miles into the distance - and a large beaten up white van. Martin sits behind it for a bit, then it pulls over slightly to the right. As I look up the road I can see in the distance TWO POLICE cars and some POLICE MEN in hi vis. The next minute i look incredulously as I see Martin OVERTAKE the white van, shorty followed by a ‘man in uniform’ wave him over.

I get waved over to but ‘I’ve done nothing wrong’ so I don’t need to show my license, it’s only Martin they give a 100 euro fine to 😁.

View attachment 47921

View attachment 47922View attachment 47924View attachment 47923
At least you got away with taking pictures of the police char I’m sure you are not meant to, when they were ripping open boxes in my van I wasn’t allowed to photo them for my customer which was a pain

Back