Better screen for MTS1200?

Jamie_____D

New member
The screen on my Multi GT is already higher and wider than the standard screen, and yes it does give some more protection against buffeting.

However, at 71mph(!!), I would like it to be slightly taller (and yes I've adjusted it to its highest setting) in order to make longer distance journeys a bit more comfortable on the head an ears.

Have seen a number of screens on the net but wondered if owners on here who may have changed their Multi screens could give their opinions.

Many thanks in advance
 
For many owners higher isn't necessarily better. Many opt for a shorter screen like the Pikes Peak version that gets you into clean air without buffeting but with more wind blast.
I've got 2 screens, plus the standard one that I never use.
They are both by Puig. A short sports one that is on most of the time and a tall touring one that I've only used on continental trips. The taller one is generally quieter.
I don't seems to suffer from as much buffeting as some owners complain of possibly because I have a pair of Wind Deflectors from Eagle Screens in Australia that fill in the gap between the screen and the fairing sides. Taller riders seem to be more susceptible to buffeting too.
 
Thanks Derek, I'm a relative short arse at 5'8.75" so it's the clean air problem that the screen causes, once at its highest it causes me to catch all of the turbulent air.

It's a trip to Europe next month which prompted me to ask. It's quieter that I'm after and I'd seen the Puig one on the bay of fleas so will have a think about it, don't want to shell out whatever they cost just for an extra inch (although some women would argue different!!)

Edited - Just saw one of those clip on extender things on the Puig site. As a short term solution it might help but I'm not so sure I like the look, call me vain!
 
I'd have lent you my tall Puig to try it but it's for 2010 to 2013 bikes with the 3 hole fitting, the GT came out for 2014 and has a 4 hole screen fitting. I've wondered about these clip-on things as well.
 
If by "Clip-on extender things", you mean something like this:

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA_X-creen_Motorcycle_Screen_Flip_Spoiler_Air_Deflector.html

I fitted one to a Kawasaki ZRX1200R, an Eddie Lawson Replica with a small 'GPz' type bikini fairing. With the 'extender' it transformed the comfort without affecting the handling. Not the prettiest thing, but can be removed and was useful for longer distances.

I find that standard screens are a bit hit or miss depending upon your height etc. The 'Clip-on extender' can be adjusted easily to suit different heights/conditions.
 
When I had my mutley I used a pikes peak and a Givi sport, I've still got both now the bike has gone if you want to try them drop me a line. Btw they are both 4 hole fixing. At 5ft 8ins I found them to be better than any of the taller screens
 
There are so many variables - riders height, riding position, helmet shape, screen position and shape - it's impossible to get a reliable suggestion on a forum.

I've never really been badly affected by the wind blast turbulence, but I tend to learn forward and tuck in a bit at higher speeds. I've got three helmets and the quietest are the ones with the peaks on - get them into a "sweet spot" and it's quiet and stable.
 
When I had my mutley I used a pikes peak and a Givi sport, I've still got both now the bike has gone if you want to try them drop me a line. Btw they are both 4 hole fixing. At 5ft 8ins I found them to be better than any of the taller screens

PM sent :-)
 
There are so many variables - riders height, riding position, helmet shape, screen position and shape - it's impossible to get a reliable suggestion on a forum.

I've never really been badly affected by the wind blast turbulence, but I tend to learn forward and tuck in a bit at higher speeds. I've got three helmets and the quietest are the ones with the peaks on - get them into a "sweet spot" and it's quiet and stable.

Miles you do realise you've just cost me my birthday money for a new Shoei Adventure. Was looking at them yesterday and you've now confirmed it. :-)
 
Back
Top Bottom