Flat roofs, why ???

dseered

New member
As in why, why oh why were they ever invented, do they have any kind of slope, if not, why not, surely common sense would say that it should have at least a slight slant ???
 
I apologies in advance for such a geeky response - but it is me job!!!

FYI

British Standards advise that a 'Flat' roofs should be constructed with a fall to allow water to drain away and generally have a slope from 1 to 5 degrees.

'Slanty' roofs are also known as monopitch or lean-to roofs and range from 5 to 60 degrees.

Anything over 60 degrees could be called a sloping wall....

Why you ask?
 
How do you define a basin roof? That's what our ahem, builders left behind when they joined the garage to the extension.
 
dseered said:
'Cause the bastids leaking :mad:

Couple o Q's.....

How old is the flat roof?

What's it made of (I'm guessing felt)?

Who built it (ie was it a 'mate' or a proper builder)?

If your looking for help - I got an 'almost' architect mate in Kendal.....
 
SS_al said:
Couple o Q's.....

How old is the flat roof?

What's it made of (I'm guessing felt)?

Who built it (ie was it a 'mate' or a proper builder)?

If your looking for help - I got an 'almost' architect mate in Kendal.....

I'm guessing it will be about 15 years old, I have some mates in the roofing trade so will give them a call, trouble is its 2nd floor so will no doubt need bloody scaffold.

I will see how bad it gets, its nearly Summer after all
:D
 
dseered said:
I'm guessing it will be about 15 years old, I have some mates in the roofing trade so will give them a call, trouble is its 2nd floor so will no doubt need bloody scaffold.

I will see how bad it gets, its nearly Summer after all
:D

Geeky bit: It's probably a joint failure and should be able to be patched - your mate will be able to do it for you for next to nowt.:nerd:

HSE bit: If it's localised and a quick repair there probably won't be a need for scaffolding.

Architect bit: fork out now and get it sorted or you'll have to pay a lot more in the long term:rain: :doh:
 
SS_al said:
Geeky bit: It's probably a joint failure and should be able to be patched - your mate will be able to do it for you for next to nowt.:nerd:

HSE bit: If it's localised and a quick repair there probably won't be a need for scaffolding.

Architect bit: fork out now and get it sorted or you'll have to pay a lot more in the long term:rain: :doh:

A patch up would be the best option for me at the moment, thank you for your advice !
 
Back
Top Bottom