Gear change sluggish?

Markduc

Elite Member
Subscriber
Not really sure how to explain but
s4r 998 motor
I noticed a difference in the way it was changing gear kind of inprecise , a bit like the gearbox was full of treacle
changing gear by hand when it’s on stands feels like the lever moves a lot further before engaging the next gear
not the snappy change compared to the 996
any thoughts, I’m wondering if replacing the springs and levers etc will help
see pic
7917F9A7-F95C-4ECB-A4C4-6BD3DC927AB9.png

Has it only just happened of late? Was it ok before ? Can you get someone else with experience of Ducatis to ride it and check it out to rule out any subjectivity?
Sadly you may just have to strip the LH crankcase to see what lies beneath and if there’s any obvious reason. Or, just live with it until it goes completely, or doesn’t.

Has it only just happened of late? Was it ok before ? Can you get someone else with experience of Ducatis to ride it and check it out to rule out any subjectivity?
Sadly you may just have to strip the LH crankcase to see what lies beneath and if there’s any obvious reason. Or, just live with it until it goes completely, or doesn’t.
yes it’s a recent thing, felt fine until last week, I think it’s the same setup as the 996 and there is a big difference
between the two, guess I’ll have to take the cover off , at least it’s supposed to rain for the next couple of weeks

Writing as someone who struggles to change a headlight bulb it may be best to ignore this but could it be as simple as a loose or badly adjusted chain?
The gearchange on my Monster deteriorates noticeably if the chain is not right.

Writing as someone who struggles to change a headlight bulb it may be best to ignore this but could it be as simple as a loose or badly adjusted chain?
The gearchange on my Monster deteriorates noticeably if the chain is not right.
Thanks I hadn’t thought of that, I’ll check that along with the clutch , fingers crossed it’s one of them
changing the springs and levers looks like a proper nightmare

Back