Given Up With The Other Place

At some point we are going to externally insulate our solid walls. So Cat6 is going in every room and camera points.
The house was derelict when I purchased it in 96/97 and I had the foresight to install telephone in every room and bathroom... back to a PABX... even token ring to most rooms.... sadly not cat5.... the internet was a baby back then... who would have thought of it..... all....
Blimey. Token Ring.
I used to keep one of these in my toolbag to scare the juniors
1631107422069.png

Edited to add:
On my laptop screen that's about actual size 😂

If the range is good then even better, I have a Summer House where I lounge about in some evenings. I like to take my tablet down there but my WiFi range can hold it back. Doesn't matter about annoying the neighbours as that is my job!

Althoug,h one of my garages that I have to rent to a neighbour's house has just changed hands. This guy is a mega-keen cyclists and I happened to mention that this is my new concentration as I have just committed to spend thousands on an electric bike. He told me that his group normally do the "three castles" route on a Sunday morning. Now the first one is Berkeley Castles which is fine as it is just down the road - I could do that! The third is Chepstow on the other side of the Severn Estuary going over the Severn Bridge. And back! Feck that for a game of soldiers!
dorygif.gif

I may of been a bit optimistic. I just got my new USB drive. Copying form my old USB to new one, on the same computer, is reckoned to take nine an a half hours! So tripling that time over a Wi-Fi link may of not been that bad!

I've ordered all of the stuff now and it will be fun investigating....

I may of been a bit optimistic. I just got my new USB drive. Copying form my old USB to new one, on the same computer, is reckoned to take nine an a half hours! So tripling that time over a Wi-Fi link may of not been that bad!

I've ordered all of the stuff now and it will be fun investigating....
USB ports have speed limitations and USB drives have minimum write and read times... same as any hard drive.

64% complete with this USB to USB copy at 10pm. Something is crap here and not sure what. Might be this PC or one of the drives. When I have it on the new USB drive, I will try a copy to my c: drive. Now it says 86% complete with an hour left. It must of said 84% and no 64% before.

... I can't believe I'm actually doing this.....

MESH is your friend here.
For around £200 you can buy a decent kit of 3. One connects directly to the ADSL Router and the others spread around the house.
Ignore the EE Wifi except for router configuration, use the MESH SSID (WiFi) and all will be well.

We've a 6 way Asus Lyra triband mesh and have full speed wifi in every corner of our +4000', solid walls, Foil backed insulation, loads of metal.... multiple cameras, sensors, light control, Alexa etc.... no issues.

PS
Make sure your MESH and EE Wifi are on different channels.

Just an example.... not a recommendation.
The Orbi Mesh things work great. I have RING cameras in the garden and my summerhouse. They rely on my Wi-Fi and have always been a bit crap!

I have changed them all to use my Orbi Wi-Fi and that has made a big improvement. Now, all of the cameras work as they should! Next experiment is to for a walk and see exactly what range I have.

Back