how long does a lid last

webster

New member
hi guys i bought an arai about 5 years ago and I've been looking for a new lid for a few months until today when the nice lady in a local bike store informed me that arai's are good for 7 years ,any of you guys herd this before as its a first for me , now the lassie knows this could cost her the sale but she said it ,

thoughts guys
 
Meh

well I always thought there was a generic 5 years

however in reality it depends what you do with it

inevitably I've always smashed mine up enough that they need replacing

if you only use a helmet twice a week in the summer (or have one for every day of the week) then I'm sure there good for a tad longer, though IMO using a 40 year old boxed item would be questionable ( but I did just that when I started out )

if your hat is suddenly a loose fit get a new one, that a sure indication that the padding / liner / polystyrene as had it
 
Had my Aria for about 4 years only weekend use, but the padding was getting worn and loose, so last year send it off to Aria, they put new padding in and replaced the visor, its like new now. Really depends on how many time you use it, uv rays etc
 
Single biggest issue internally with helmets is sweat hardening the lining making them less stress absorbent in a crash.

5 years use assumes you sweat normally and use the lid for an 'average' amount of time; nobody will declare what that average is though incase it's used against them in a claim......

So if you do 40,000 miles a year on a bike best expect to replace your lid quicker than 5 years. ;)
 
I've always been deeply sceptical about these time limits on helmets and have no qualms about wearing some of my older helmets, my( current hemet of choice) AGV is about four years old, the Quantum F about ten and the RX7 about sixteen, though my usage is now very intermittent I did use the RX7 as a daily helmet when it was new.
A bit like the controversy over the new helmet tests there are just too many other factors that do not feature when testing helmets, I accept they may degrade over time but they don't suddenly become useless after the short recommended lifespan and this to me just smacks of a self generating sales pitch based on scaremongering.

If it wasn't for the fact I wanted a built in sun visor I'd still be wearing the Quantum as my regular helmet.
It's most important feature is it's bright red colour!:D
If I find a plain red lid with built in sun visor then that may eventually oust the (white with red stripes) AGV, until then I'll wear the existing one without a care to any recommended lifespan.
 
I always thought it was about 5 years too. Recently replaced mine as it was just a tad over the 5 year marker and to be fair I think it needed replacing after all the sweating etc ive done in it :o
 
Shoei website recommends:

Helmet Replacement
Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:

1 The helmet was subjected to an impact.
2 The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration.
3 The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
4 There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
5 Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Maintenance.aspx
 
Back
Top Bottom