Kawasaki GPz 750 A2 1983 restoration.

BobTheBounder

Elite Member
Subscriber
Seeing as its been 28 years ago I bought this old girl as a street fighter/rat bike and has not been on the road since 2000, I thought now as I have a wee bit more time as retirement bekons and I try to do as little as possible, would be ideal to make a start.
This restoration will be different, I will document the spend and I'll be spending the least amount possible. A typical Yorkshire restoration, almost nowt, I have nearly everything, but if I do need any parts it will be via the cheapest possible route.
Firstly the initail photo's are lost, as the SD card became corrupted!
Anyhoo to reach this stage, it's cost me one can of brake cleaner and one can of GT85 😊
20220326_114129.jpg
20220326_114141.jpg
20220326_114206.jpg
20220326_114230.jpg

BobTheBounder

Elite Member
Subscriber
A bit more action on the Kwaka, oil pump removal shoul have been a doddle, however, to remove the oil pump you have to remove 2 of the 3 staked fasteners that secure the secondary shaft bearing thrust plate, as i'm fully stripping the motor I needed all 3 out, I started with the 2 hardest to get to. No problems no head damage, the third tho, I think Kawasaki heavy industries had cadbury make this fucker, it just mashed, had to drill out!
Anyhoo, oil pump out and the secondary shaft. Alls well!
Actually there will be some expense in the future, I need to get a rebuild kit for the starter clutch!

20220410_175458.jpg
20220410_175623.jpg

Next episode, hopefully splitting the cases and gearbox removal.

Exige

2021 Build of the year (millennium) winner
Subscriber
That's rich, coming from you !! 🤣

I have a soft spot for old Kawasaki fours, I'll be watching this threads progress & even going the "Yorkshire" cheap route I'm sure it will be worth it (y)
Mine tighteningly fast dude :cool:

BobTheBounder

Elite Member
Subscriber
Had a bit of free time, the gaffer was watching her soaps on the telly!

Decided it was time to remove the studs, I had soaked them yesterday with GT85, they were very tight and I was worried about damage either snapping or bending!

20220413_210042.jpg

Getting there, taking me time, passed half way so went for a brew

20220413_213427.jpg

20220413_213432.jpg

Done, really pleased no damage, the studs will be off in the dishwasher tonight with a few other parts when her majesty goes to bed (y) 😊

Exige

Subscriber
Had a bit of free time, the gaffer was watching her soaps on the telly!

Decided it was time to remove the studs, I had soaked them yesterday with GT85, they were very tight and I was worried about damage either snapping or bending!

View attachment 45681

Getting there, taking me time, passed half way so went for a brew

View attachment 45682
View attachment 45688

Done, really pleased no damage, the studs will be off in the dishwasher tonight with a few other parts when her majesty goes to bed (y) 😊
My studs were APE ones with no shoulders, some were wound in too far (found the height specs in my workshop manual to reset them), they came out easy with a couple of nuts on the threads.
Can you measure the total lengths of the 3 different ones so I can double check mine 👍

BobTheBounder

Elite Member
Subscriber
My studs were APE ones with no shoulders, some were wound in too far (found the height specs in my workshop manual to reset them), they came out easy with a couple of nuts on the threads.
Can you measure the total lengths of the 3 different ones so I can double check mine 👍
course I can cocker, just remember my engine is 738cc with a stroke of 54mm

BobTheBounder

Elite Member
Subscriber
Thanks for that - I am presuming the barrels and head would be the same casting / stack height (y)
Hope so mate, just checked, the stroke for the 1062cc motor is 62.6mm, not sure if that will make a difference, let me know if'n you need the stud diameter?

Exige

Subscriber
Not too sure what stroke mine is, it’s an NCK Stage 5 pro-stock motor and I know they dicked about with / rebuilt the crank. It has 1260 sized Wiseco pistons though…

BobTheBounder

Elite Member
Subscriber
Not too sure what stroke mine is, it’s an NCK Stage 5 pro-stock motor and I know they dicked about with / rebuilt the crank. It has 1260 sized Wiseco pistons though…
I remember you saying it was bored out to 1260, I did wonder if it had been stroked with it having wisco and APE high tensile studs! 🤔
are the rods/bottom end standard?

Exige

Subscriber
I remember you saying it was bored out to 1260, I did wonder if it had been stroked with it having wisco and APE high tensile studs! 🤔
are the rods/bottom end standard?
The rods look like standard Kawasaki ones yes so I presumed they were from the original engine. The spec sheet said lightened and balanced crank and shot peened rods.

BobTheBounder

Elite Member
Subscriber
I've split the cases, surprising easily! Two taps at the fore and two aft with my favourite mallet 'Angela' (named after my ex wife)
Bobs yer dads brother and his wife Frances.

20220414_133905.jpg

20220414_133913.jpg

All in all I'm pleased with the condition, nothing ceased to be or broken.
A few little odds and sods to remove then I have to ply my mate with alcohol to spend half a day with his fairly large parts washer! Ooerr matron!

Last edited: