My Mutley up for Sale :(

Ladies and Gents, with a heavy heart I have decided to sell my beloved 2010 Mutley 1200
I am struggling (and a wife pestering) to justify running two machines and currently have a third in pieces, with the current climate.
So after a lot of thought and anguish, £4500 or very very near offer.

A little history.
Originally a Yorkshire bike, first owner was Vic a Ducati techy at Shipley he had it a year or so, then went to another Yorkshire owner, third owner was from 'dahn sarf' Bromley way and a geezer by the name Adam. Then back up to gods county and moi.
Serviced 3 times at Ducati Leeds, then Snells Alton for 2 services including first belt service, 3 further services at Metropolis vauxhall bridge up to belts and desmo service, December 2017.
Anyhoo the bike had been well maintained but dare I say not loved, not to my affection levels anyway I purchased the bike in early 2018 with 39K on the clock.
She was clean and tidy but as winter was coming, I decided to strip and clean the old girl, so over that winter 2017 2018 I did a whole 18k ducati service I checked the valve clearances all in spec, I also checked belts and tension again in spec, from history belts and desmo service carried out approx 38K 2017 at metropolis. It was just for piece of mind, you never really know your bike until you've stripped and cleaned it.
During that period I also changed front discs as they were dished, replaced with Brembo oro's, calipers stripped cleaned and pads replaced with Brembo items, also found remote brake res was weeping (common) so replaced with new, as both rear indicators were looking a bit tatty, replaced them too.
Did all other service items including rear hub strip and clean for her first MOT in my ownership a pair of PR4's fitted. Flew through MOT with 39K or so. Soon after A nice little tour of Scotland, 5 days of wonderful hot sunny weather and 1300 miles not missed a beat.
2019 and again over winter minor service and more cleaning, replaced a few furred fasteners with stainless items but nothing major flew through MOT. Two Scotland trips that summer first trip 3 of the 5 absolutely pissed down, she performed way better than I hoped, two BMW's broke down that trip, a GS and K1300S I had a little snigger. During summer I had the suspension sorted and set up for me by a former BSB and superstock/sport team spannerman, transformed the bike best hour I ever spent, learned more about suspension in that hour than the last 40 years of head scratching. Second trip in August much better, not a beat missed.
Gah! 2020, over winter did a few minor bits and bobs, then came lockdown!
So I thought to myself since I can't go anywhere, full strip and clean time again. so during that time my beloved was down to engine in frame but almost everything else removed and cleaned. I checked the valve clearances again and belt condition and tension all fine no change from the previous check. Apart from the ongoing fastner upgrade to stainless I fitted a new gear change mechanism as the old one was looking a little scabby and replaced the rear wheel speed sensor which had decided to cease living.
During summer I found a new mistress a 2017 DVT so my gen1 was put on the back burner a little.
Feb 2021 got a letter from the dvla saying you need to test your bike if you want it to remain taxed, so out she came, clean and polish, quick checkover of the usual and all I found was the rear tail light bulb blown 45p later, another fly through for MOT. Have gone out for a couple of Sunday blasts since and she performs as well if not a little better than my DVT, gen1 has 15/40 gearing and lighter, my DVT 15/42 and a little heavier, mate who just bought a Multi V4S said, 'fuck that things quick'.
I digress.
So she is a June 2010 MTS 1200 ABS she has pucker Pikes Peak bodywork not a sticker kit, Heated grips upgraded from factory so warm, toasty and 3rd degree burn settings. I have fitted a centerstand, Oberon slave, shortie dark screen. I do have a OE touring screen and longer rear hugger if required. Tyres are good PR4's plenty life left and chain and sprocket very good too always cleaned after a run. I do suffer OCD a little! Current mileage is 43.6K
She is fully MOT'd until Feb 2022, so a new owner would be able to ride her away into a beautiful sunset.
DM me for mobile number or land line, or just if you want any more info, I could talk about her til cows come home!
Please come and have a look kettle is nearly always on. For those that are a little far, its no problem for the local lads like Exi to come and give her a once over, in fact he could bring DVT belts with him and save a couple quid on postage!
SAM_0172.JPG
20200513_145113.jpg
20200513_145059.jpg

I've a feeling she may be worth a lot more to you than the motorcycling public.
If I didn't have two already I'd be tempted to make you an offer.
For those who believe the publicity the mileage may put them off. For those that know the Mutley well ..... it's a base model with the wrong models clothes on.
Why didn't they go for the correct Pikes Peak colours for that generation one? .. much better IMHO.
Edit following correction by OP
1617044899303.png

Please don't shoot the messenger...
And
GLWS

Last edited:
Ladies and Gents, with a heavy heart I have decided to sell my beloved 2010 Mutley 1200
I am struggling (and a wife pestering) to justify running two machines and currently have a third in pieces, with the current climate.
So after a lot of thought and anguish, £4500 or very very near offer.

A little history.
Originally a Yorkshire bike, first owner was Vic a Ducati techy at Shipley he had it a year or so, then went to another Yorkshire owner, third owner was from 'dahn sarf' Bromley way and a geezer by the name Adam. Then back up to gods county and moi.
Serviced 3 times at Ducati Leeds, then Snells Alton for 2 services including first belt service, 3 further services at Metropolis vauxhall bridge up to belts and desmo service, December 2017.
Anyhoo the bike had been well maintained but dare I say not loved, not to my affection levels anyway I purchased the bike in early 2018 with 39K on the clock.
She was clean and tidy but as winter was coming, I decided to strip and clean the old girl, so over that winter 2017 2018 I did a whole 18k ducati service I checked the valve clearances all in spec, I also checked belts and tension again in spec, from history belts and desmo service carried out approx 38K 2017 at metropolis. It was just for piece of mind, you never really know your bike until you've stripped and cleaned it.
During that period I also changed front discs as they were dished, replaced with Brembo oro's, calipers stripped cleaned and pads replaced with Brembo items, also found remote brake res was weeping (common) so replaced with new, as both rear indicators were looking a bit tatty, replaced them too.
Did all other service items including rear hub strip and clean for her first MOT in my ownership a pair of PR4's fitted. Flew through MOT with 39K or so. Soon after A nice little tour of Scotland, 5 days of wonderful hot sunny weather and 1300 miles not missed a beat.
2019 and again over winter minor service and more cleaning, replaced a few furred fasteners with stainless items but nothing major flew through MOT. Two Scotland trips that summer first trip 3 of the 5 absolutely pissed down, she performed way better than I hoped, two BMW's broke down that trip, a GS and K1300S I had a little snigger. During summer I had the suspension sorted and set up for me by a former BSB and superstock/sport team spannerman, transformed the bike best hour I ever spent, learned more about suspension in that hour than the last 40 years of head scratching. Second trip in August much better, not a beat missed.
Gah! 2020, over winter did a few minor bits and bobs, then came lockdown!
So I thought to myself since I can't go anywhere, full strip and clean time again. so during that time my beloved was down to engine in frame but almost everything else removed and cleaned. I checked the valve clearances again and belt condition and tension all fine no change from the previous check. Apart from the ongoing fastner upgrade to stainless I fitted a new gear change mechanism as the old one was looking a little scabby and replaced the rear wheel speed sensor which had decided to cease living.
During summer I found a new mistress a 2017 DVT so my gen1 was put on the back burner a little.
Feb 2021 got a letter from the dvla saying you need to test your bike if you want it to remain taxed, so out she came, clean and polish, quick checkover of the usual and all I found was the rear tail light bulb blown 45p later, another fly through for MOT. Have gone out for a couple of Sunday blasts since and she performs as well if not a little better than my DVT, gen1 has 15/40 gearing and lighter, my DVT 15/42 and a little heavier, mate who just bought a Multi V4S said, 'fuck that things quick'.
I digress.
So she is a June 2010 MTS 1200 ABS she has pucker Pikes Peak bodywork not a sticker kit, Heated grips upgraded from factory so warm, toasty and 3rd degree burn settings. I have fitted a centerstand, Oberon slave, shortie dark screen. I do have a OE touring screen and longer rear hugger if required. Tyres are good PR4's plenty life left and chain and sprocket very good too always cleaned after a run. I do suffer OCD a little! Current mileage is 43.6K
She is fully MOT'd until Feb 2022, so a new owner would be able to ride her away into a beautiful sunset.
DM me for mobile number or land line, or just if you want any more info, I could talk about her til cows come home!
Please come and have a look kettle is nearly always on. For those that are a little far, its no problem for the local lads like Exi to come and give her a once over, in fact he could bring DVT belts with him and save a couple quid on postage!
View attachment 15258View attachment 15259View attachment 15260
Very nice!!

I've a feeling she may be worth a lot more to you than the motorcycling public.
If I didn't have two already I'd be tempted to make you an offer.
For those who believe the publicity the mileage may put them off. For those that know the Mutley well ..... it's a base model with the wrong models clothes on.
Why didn't they go for the correct Pikes Peak colours for that year... much better IMHO.
View attachment 15274

Please don't shoot the messenger...
And
GLWS
Sorry AC I must correct you sir, My beloved is not the base but the 2010 ABS with the safety pack so ABS and traction control with the ability to turn off rear ABS in Enduro mode, the PP you have pictured is a 2012 model, no PP for 2010 or 2011, my bodywork if from a 2013 gen 2 PP twinspark mutley.

Sorry AC I must correct you sir, My beloved is not the base but the 2010 ABS with the safety pack so ABS and traction control with the ability to turn off rear ABS in Enduro mode, the PP you have pictured is a 2012 model, no PP for 2010 or 2011, my bodywork if from a 2013 gen 2 PP twinspark mutley.
Accepted.

Q. Did any MTS1200 ever get sold without ABS?

Quite a few years ago we tried to get the biggest collection of Mutleys together for a photo shoot for MCN.
I think it ended up at On yer Bike North West of London.... from memory the total was around 40.
Not a single base model without ABS. It was discussed at the time.
I still think the generation 1 Pikes Peak was the best looking and represented something worth talking about, rather than the excuse for a price premium that the generations that followed represented.

Last edited:
It looks a good bike to me and while most of us on here either have one already, or have another model cos they (mistakenly) dont like the Mutley, it should sell well and sell fast when advertised elsewhere I think.
Wrong clothes would not put me off - in fact they would attract me, I never do standard bikes anyway. The mileage is also an irrelevance if its been serviced and as long as its not due a desmos service

Back