Need advice opion bike broken.

Shoey

New member
hi guys sorry I don't post much

but having serious issue need some opinions

basically bike broken sitting in ducati Glasgow
don't know if its worth effort to investigate further and repair or scrap the damn thing.
since i'm not sure how big these bills can go.

ducati 848 2008
approx. 5400 miles

one cylinder wouldn't run (horizontal) threw out extreme heat to the exhaust cans melted half the wiring

I thought It was a spark coil pack issue, no way....

boys at DG already spent some time investgating
turns out there was copper debris in the exhaust, piston scored, burnt valve, getting good spark, good compression 147psi still won't run

mechanic can't give me rough idea what it could be, needs head remove, so further cost
can't estimate how much this could cost
i'm just not sure how far this could go and if it is worth going on

what you guys think?
 
With 147 psi compression and good spark it should fire unless there is a fueling issue. How do they know the piston is scored if they haven't lifted the head? A borescope will only show the cylinder bore and the piston crown. Extreme heat in the exhaust is usually the result of excess unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust. I have no idea where the copper debris could have come from, there is nothing copper in the top end of the engine that could get into the combustion chamber and exhausts.
I'd say the heads would certainly need to come off to check on any damage and to help ascertain the cause. If you weren't at the other end of the country I'd offer to help. Maybe 853RS can help you?
 
they have removed the exhaust to look into it

that's why i'm really confused, good compression and spark no run.

that's why I assume its the valve but if valve problem why would I get good compression.
 
Last edited:
I can't see looking into the exhaust is going to let them see the piston other than part of the crown :confused:
With any engine, if there is good compression, spark (at the right time) and fuel in the correct A/F ratio it should run. Since it has the first two that only leaves fuel. Has an injector or the ECU failed such that it pumps fuel continuously? That would explain why it only runs on one cylinder and the red hot exhaust.
 
well there is unburnt fuel going into the exhaust so there is fuel.....I guess?

they said they have switch the ecu about with working ones.

I guess may be is the piston crown is scored?

maybe air choked? but so simple they should have worked that one out already?

the cat in standard exhaust is destroyed may is those debris blown back in to the exhaust.

sorry I not 100% mechanical sound, told me many things hard to swallow it all.

i'm just worry the repair cost out stripe the value of the bike which makes it pointless to repair

do you think head removal with give the ultimate answer to the problem?

removing valves involves sending it to specialist, it just all sound too scary

just don't know if the bike is worth repairing
 
Hi Shoey after reading the story about your 848 I think it is an intermittent spark problem on the horizontal cyl,when its not sparking filling the exhaust with unburnt fuel and burning inside the exhaust when it is.Also if you have a burnt valve then you are not going to get 147psi on compression.It doesn't add up.And also you need to remove the is head to see if the valve is burnt.Would need to see the bike first to check.I'm in Auchinleck.
 
i'm just not sure what direction I should take.

the bike is already in bits in DG

I would need to ask them to assemble it and settle their bill. feels like a pain when they already half way in.


that's why i'm really confused, my pocket is not really that deep anymore since after marriage and kids.
 
Once the bike is in bits in DG you're certainly in a difficult position because its going to cost you no matter what the outcome. Large amount unburnt fuel going into the exhaust for whatever reason will certainly destroy the cat. Alex is your best chance of a fix.
 
Last edited:
that's the tricky spot i'm in.

the more they dive in the more I can't turn back

may be the next process will reveal the problem where only a step away

I thought it was a simple issue. no spark
 
so speaking to some other local

possible it just skip the timing or something like that?

but why would it all of a sudden do that?
 
well they said they are left scratching their heads too

the engine management light never stay lit so may be no fault recorded

I have advised them to put the bike back together and taking it back

Wednesday they said they have it back for.
 
some img supplied by DG shown damage at back

yWeYibu.jpg

4FGP4Z7.jpg

N5103GP.jpg

MPU8UWJ.jpg
 
Definitely caused by fuel burning in the exhaust. The question is was the cylinder not firing because of too much fuel, or was the fuel in the exhaust a result of the cylinder not firing?
 
well when I went for an MOT in March after the long winter the bike was running but was showing signs of choking, but after it was warm up to optimal temperature everything seem fine.

the bike was difficult to start at the time, but started eventually with lots of throttle input

don't know wether this can contribute to the problem

also may fuel quality after winter storage may be?

but why would 1 cylinder fire and the other wont?
 
Last edited:
My sympathies Shoey. Got to wonder about Ducati Glasgow ,am I reading it right that they don't know whats wrong ? I was considering riding the 200 miles south to let them service my S2R ,more to keep the service history up to date but this has me doubting their commitment to customer service .
Are they usually on the ball ?
 
My sympathies Shoey. Got to wonder about Ducati Glasgow ,am I reading it right that they don't know whats wrong ? I was considering riding the 200 miles south to let them service my S2R ,more to keep the service history up to date but this has me doubting their commitment to customer service .
Are they usually on the ball ?

yes you are reading correct, they said they were left scratching their heads too

they said they want to remove the cylinder head to investigate

my immediate question was how many hours of labour is that, 2 to 3 hours

I've enquire their labour rate already which is £65 + vat

I've ask how many hours they've worked on the bike already, he doesn't know

I originally agree for them to take the head off, but eventually I change my mind
because they still can't guarantee to find the problem.

I agree all the work cos I trusted them 100% but i'm slowly loosing that

so I've no option I've ask for it back and expecting a bill......
 
Good move to take it out of DG IMHO! Sounded like a bad dealer experience about to get worse.

Getting someone who is more passionate (and cheaper lol!) about motorcycles is the next step. Either that or could this be an ideal opportunity for you to dig out some tools and really get to know your Ducati??
 
I too don't post often on here but I do lurk a lot. I sympathise with your position. I have heard nothing but good reports about Ducati Glasgow but have no personal experience.
You have a problem that a main dealer has trouble diagnosing and no money to pay the bill at the end. I really feel sorry for you but before taking it away from the shop what are you going to do with it. If you can't find somebody to sort it for little or no money you are going to end up with an expensive pile of unusable metal in the garage that going to do nothing but depreciate
Have you spoken with the shop they may be willing to accept a payment plan. You might be better to get them to sort it and then sell it for you, take out there costs and give you what's left.
 
I've used DG a few times. Nothing but praise for them, always up front and genuine enthusiasts. I don't think you can really level any criticism at the dealer, they are only investigating the problem, without fault codes they are going to have to delve a bit deeper into the engine. If the bike had been serviced and stamped by them then you may get a bit of leeway, if not then they are only carrying out the work as instructed.
 
the worst case is I sell the bike the way it is as a project for someone

yea kinda depress I loved my 848
it felt so special I got it registered on 8/4/2008, by coincidence

it was the ducati 916 got me interested in motorcycling by no surprise
the 848 was like a dream come true, even the newer model started gone off the classic DNA of under seat exhaust and single sided swingarm

the Honda nsr250 mc28 in rothman colours was also never forgotten memory in my teenage years, which I also own the cbr600rr now
 
I've used DG a few times. Nothing but praise for them, always up front and genuine enthusiasts. I don't think you can really level any criticism at the dealer, they are only investigating the problem, without fault codes they are going to have to delve a bit deeper into the engine. If the bike had been serviced and stamped by them then you may get a bit of leeway, if not then they are only carrying out the work as instructed.

don't get me wrong mate, in no way I have try to give them a negative comment
the problem is I don't know how far they need to go to find the problem
that is my concern
the further they go the more it cost me
I just don't know where this can stop they have set the price and it needs to be paid.
 
Back
Top Bottom