New Tyres for my 748

Andy Mack

New member
So thinking of getting some new shoes for my bike for the 2014 year.
My plan is to do some long quick rides and some track days, ideally 4 this year.
I emailed ducati glasgow and they suggested 4 options.

Pirelli supercorsa sp v2
Michelin power supersport
Dunlop GP racer D211
Metz racetec k3

how do you choose between the 4? :-S Ive never really had a choice of tyre before.
 
I have Rosso corsa on my 848 work great better than super corsa for road not as good track but still we'll capable
 
got the michelins on my 1198 but at the end of the day it is all about preferance .
i always have had faith in michellin tyres and that at the end of the day was why i choose them
 
Bought rosso corsa's for my 748, few months back but unfortunatly cant comment as of yet on them as the bike is still getting some well needed TLC and haven't had the chance to fit them.
 
Getting new boots fitted to the S4 at Ducati Glasgow next week. I'm going for a tyre not on your list - Michelin Pilot Road 3's. Read the reviews on them before you decide, not specifically designed for track use however loads of people use them on track. If you're planning track days in Scotland and riding to the circuit then I would rather have these on given the chances of rain on circuit or on road! I'm planning a couple of trackdays at Knockhill hill this year.........time will tell!
 
My plan is the occasional trip to oban from glasgow (or the like kind of ride) and 4 trackdays - 2 knockhill and 2 somewhere else.

those tyres all seem extreme trackday tyres. ideally id want something a little less focused and slightly more road based.

where do you goto for tyre reviews? ive found it quite hard to find them.
 
I'd contact Cambrian tyres for their opinion but be very specific about your intended use, including if you are a novice, intermediate or looney track-dayer. They sell everything so don't have an axe to grind. I would make a choice and then talk with your local shop (They may well buy them from Cambrian themselves)
Fitting tyres is not such a simple job to do properly as the whole front and rear end, especially brakes should get a proper look-over at the same time. A proper job by a proper shop is not to be undervalued, especially if it helps keep them in business for you to use in future
 
PP3s for me sometime this spring. They work well on my 900SS. I ride in all sorts of weather and am an experienced but these days rather tame rider* so they will do fine.

*OK, most of the time then - the speeding fines here are criminal.
 
I,ve never been a fan of Michelins in the past (anyone else remember HiSports?) but having ridden a friends RSV4 on PP3s I,ve changed my views as they are excellent. It is all down to how they suit you -everyone raves about Dunlop Sportsmart but I did not like them and changed back to old style Bridgestone BT016s. I changed my 748 to a 120/70 profile front many years ago and you may want to consider this as an option.
 
Back
Top Bottom