T.I.L

I was today years old when I learned that this is how cashews grow.

IMG_0683.jpeg
IMG_0684.jpeg

TIL that the actor most associated with Captain Birdseye was John Hewer, who played the character from 1967 to 1998.

He lived 13 January 1922 – 16 March 2008

1716998609601.png

His tenure was interrupted by a hiatus in 1971, when the fictitious Captain was killed off by Birdseye, with an "obituary" in The Times announcements
section:
1716998658217.png

In a 1993 poll he was voted the most recognised naval captain after Captain Cook

TIL that its much easier to get on and off a bike with the bars turned to the right, I`ve previously always turned them to the left as if about to use the steering lock. I have been riding since 1979 and only just discovered this. Doh !
Has this been mentioned to @PerryL on any of his many threads and posts about what bikes he can get on and off as it may help him ?

TIL that its much easier to get on and off a bike with the bars turned to the right, I`ve previously always turned them to the left as if about to use the steering lock. I have been riding since 1979 and only just discovered this. Doh !
Has this been mentioned to @PerryL on any of his many threads and posts about what bikes he can get on and off as it may help him ?
If you stop 'properly' the bike will assist you over the bars - much cooler

1717066356341.png

1717075407367.png

"Times have changed and s*x sells. Around 1990 I voluntarily went into rehab because I was drinking too much and some smart-ass editor said, "Oh, another boring story about an actor going to rehab. Let's give him s*x addiction." Then it became, "Self-confessed s"x addict!".
Michael Douglas considers "Falling Down" (1993) his favorite performance of all the movies he has been in.
In an interview less than a week before the film's release, screenwriter Ebbe Roe Smith gave his interpretation of what the movie was about. "To me, even though the movie deals with complicated urban issues, it really is just about one basic thing: The main character represents the old power structure of the U.S. that has now become archaic, and hopelessly lost. And that way, I guess you could say D-FENS is like Los Angeles. For both of them, it's adjust-or-die time."
Every studio in Hollywood turned down Smith's script, and producer Arnold Kopelson was getting to the stage of considering cable television. Joel Schumacher envisioned his friend Douglas in the lead role. However, Douglas planned to take a break from acting, as he had just done two films back-to-back, and desired to spend some time with his family. Douglas agreed to read the script after Schumacher's urging, and declared it one of the best he had ever read, taking the role immediately. The presence of such a popular actor as the lead allowed the film to get a much higher budget. Douglas, believing the film to be important, agreed to take a much lower salary, so the film could also have more money to be made.
It was Schumacher's idea for the crew cut that Michael Douglas has in this movie. Combined with the glasses Douglas wore, he was almost unrecognizable. Douglas commented on how it helped him get into the character of a veteran of the military or defense industry, "It gave me the feeling of the late 50s and the early 60s, and somehow my character you kinda have the feeling that he came from another time, or he wished or he hoped for another time when things made sense." Douglas would add concerning the character, "There's a lot of people who are a paycheck away from being on the streets and being out of work who did everything right, they've been responsible, they tried hard, [and] they don't know what went wrong! We won the war, where's it all at?"
Falling Down (1993)
The opening scene of the film, in which Michael Douglas is stuck in gridlock on the freeway, took a day to shoot.
At the time of its release Douglas's father, actor Kirk Douglas, declared "He played it brilliantly. I think it is his best piece of work to date." He also defended the film against critics who claimed that it glorifies lawbreaking: "Michael's character is not the 'hero' or 'newest urban icon'. He is the villain and the victim. Of course, we see many elements of our society that contributed to his madness. We even pity him. But the movie never condones his actions." (IMDb/Wikipedia)

TIL (or was reminded, I may have forgotten it) that "Left" and "Right" has its roots, like many things harmful to modern humanity, in the French Revolution.

In the National Assembly, supporters of the Revolution were seated on the left, the clergy and those supporting the Establishment, on the right. How fucking mundane.

TIL

At one time there was London-Calcutta-London (london-calcutta-london) bus service. It was the longest bus route in the world.

This route was operational from 1957 to 1976 and it was run by a company called Albert Travel.

The total distance of this route was about 32669 km.

It took about 50 days to reach London from Kolkata.

During the journey, the bus route was from England to Belgium and from there West Germany, Austria, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and North West India reached Kolkata via New Delhi, Agra, Allahabad and Benares.

The bus ticket cost £145 including accommodation.

This bus had bunkers for sleeping and a well-equipped kitchen for meals.

During the journey, breaks were given to visit various places of interest, including the Taj Mahal. In addition, breaks were given to Vienna, Istanbul, Kabul and Tehran for shopping.

1717335096884.png

Today I learnt I will never have a new car again, after July 2024.

I can guarantee the same guys taking adblue off diesels and mapping the software to do away with the system will have this shit deleted in no time 🙏

Don’t most cars already have that technology

Sounds like only difference is it will default to on.

Great news!
Can't wait for it to happen so we can all benefit from the plummeting cost of insurance policies that will happen in order to reflect the massively reduced risk to us all in the wonderful safer new world we will be living in. Like fuck.

Great news!
Can't wait for it to happen so we can all benefit from the plummeting cost of insurance policies that will happen in order to reflect the massively reduced risk to us all in the wonderful safer new world we will be living in. Like fuck.

With EVs catching fire quicker than Everard can swap identities, there is every chance that the rest of us will subsidise the virtue signallers

Yep, many "incentives" to get an ev stop next year and they will be road taxed and congestion charge/ulez liable from next year.

Is that to incentivise potential new EV owners? That is what was happening here but, now, all of a sudden, they have been banged with full road user charges (RUC) same as a diesel suv or ute. Hybrids also pay RUC but at a lower rate. GFJ.

Yes it was to get people to switch.

I doubt that there are many bikers who have not accelerated out of harms way on many occasions.

When that car that you are passing suddenly swerves out to make an overtake without checking his /her mirrors, a fistful of throttle will get you out of harms way.
A motorbike with a speed limiter, no thanks!

If they bring it in for cars then bikes are next.

I doubt that there are many bikers who have not accelerated out of harms way on many occasions.

When that car that you are passing suddenly swerves out to make an overtake without checking his /her mirrors, a fistful of throttle will get you out of harms way.
A motorbike with a speed limiter, no thanks!

If they bring it in for cars then bikes are next.
The safety police conundrum.... if nobody can break the speed limit will the roads be safer :unsure:

The safety police conundrum.... if nobody can break the speed limit will the roads be safer :unsure:
If you look at the records, there are no accidents that took place where all parties were obeying the relevant speed limits. All accidents feature at least one party breaking a speed limit.

Further, there are no documented examples where someone has broken a speed limit and *not* had an accident as a result.

If you look at the records, there are no accidents that took place where all parties were obeying the relevant speed limits. All accidents feature at least one party breaking a speed limit.

Further, there are no documented examples where someone has broken a speed limit and *not* had an accident as a result.
Wouldn`t it just be easier to let the roads fall in to such a state of disrepair that it would be impossible to drive fast anywhere ? Lucky nobody has thought of that hey.

Back