What have you done on your bike today?

If you don't mind me saying WCP, that "petrol" looks more like poitîn to me !! :unsure:
:ROFLMAO:

Regarding the carb problem you now have on that Honda, have you checked the four diaphrams very carefully for pin holes and/or cracks ? You could try putting them over a bright light source & giving them a gentle pull/stretch to see if any light appears through the rubber anywhere.
If the diaphrams leak that can cause your rev issues I seem to remember from my past with similar type CV ish carbs. Failing that you might need to split the carb bodies & drop them in your ultrasonic cleaner.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me saying WCP, that "petrol" looks more like poitîn to me !! :unsure:

Paul in his "bike" workshop

A Crash Course in the Semi-Legal World of Home Distilling - InsideHook

Really do need to get out more

My mate Hawkeye died last year, he had a sizeable bike collection, but his main love was for Laverdas, one of the last things he told me was “..I wish I’d rode the bikes more instead of tinkering with them…” save the tinkering for the wet cold days and get some miles on your bikes, keeping the mileage low to get a better price for them when you sell is like having a super hot girlfriend and not shagging her to save her for her next boyfriend.
Not preaching, just saying.

My mate Hawkeye died last year, he had a sizeable bike collection, but his main love was for Laverdas, one of the last things he told me was “..I wish I’d rode the bikes more instead of tinkering with them…” save the tinkering for the wet cold days and get some miles on your bikes, keeping the mileage low to get a better price for them when you sell is like having a super hot girlfriend and not shagging her to save her for her next boyfriend.
Not preaching, just saying.
My 900ie has now over 60K miles on it with more going to be put on it as long as this good weather keeps going. My 996 i just can't afford to keep on the road as i is poor(Thanks to the ex), if i could i would be out on that!! (y)
Life is short, death is eternal depending on ones beliefs that is??:)

Last edited:
My 900ie has now over 60K miles on it now with more going to be put on it as long as this good weather keeps going. My 996 i just can't afford to keep on the road as i is poor(Thanks to the ex), if i could i would be out on that!! (y)
Life is short, death is eternal depending on ones beliefs that is??:)
I have been busy racking up the miles on three of my bikes to the detriment of tinkering on my project and recently not been out on a bike due to the super hot Mrs Ex being here for 3 weeks :unsure:. Meanwhile instead of investing in more mainstream things, the other bikes have been going up in value better than the housing market over the last 10 years 😇 I get a weeks reprieve now after this weekend to get out more then the super hot Mrs Viada arrives for a week. Sometimes life is a bitch but I just roll with it 🤷‍♂️

I have been busy racking up the miles on three of my bikes to the detriment of tinkering on my project and recently not been out on a bike due to the super hot Mrs Ex being here for 3 weeks :unsure:. Meanwhile instead of investing in more mainstream things, the other bikes have been going up in value better than the housing market over the last 10 years 😇 I get a weeks reprieve now after this weekend to get out more then the super hot Mrs Viada arrives for a week. Sometimes life is a bitch but I just roll with it 🤷‍♂️
Rolling with it you say - I thought you was svelte :ROFLMAO:

Puttin' kms on the SF, it's difficult keeping the rpms at 5k until the 1K km service. Feels like I'm walking a cheeta on a leash.
Is it really necessary to run them in so strictly. I had a loan bike whilst mine was being serviced and rode it hard. when I looked at the milage it read 130 and I had put 60 or so on it. I wasn't told that it was so new.

When you've got that far and it's still playing up it's back to square one. What about a heavier return spring on the throttle cable?

Can you run it without the air filters and with a mirror, remote camera, etc, look in the inlets to see if any of the slides are still raised after the throttle is closed. As Hugo says, could be one or more sticking slides?

:ROFLMAO:

Regarding the carb problem you now have on that Honda, have you checked the four diaphrams very carefully for pin holes and/or cracks ? You could try putting them over a bright light source & giving them a gentle pull/stretch to see if any light appears through the rubber anywhere.
If the diaphrams leak that can cause your rev issues I seem to remember from my past with similar type CV ish carbs. Failing that you might need to split the carb bodies & drop them in your ultrasonic cleaner.
I don’t know why I didn’t get these notifications 🤷🏻‍♂️ I must have been asleep.

To respond, throttle snaps shut, bang !, a heavier spring couldn’t close it any quicker.

Yes, I ran it without the airbox, no slide stays up but this is an issue with the slow circuit anyway so the slides aren’t even opening. Which leads me on to …

The slides open once the throttle is turned beyond 1/4 opening, as they should, and they open fully at full throttle and close as they should. All diaphragms are fully intact, visually checked and also blown upwards in order to remove them which wouldn’t be possible if there was a pinhole air leak,

Here’s the latest on the Hornet …
O-rings arrived, turns out two of the original ones did have tiny breaks in them, most likely due to age as they're hardly moving parts,

IMG_9334.jpg.2fb3926cc5e82cb6bd7bc94054706c1a.jpg

and the new ones were inserted. Carbs back on, connected, started, slightly better but not perfect. Carbs off again, bowls off, 45 jets taken out and 40s put back in, reassembled, reinstalled, reconnected (Lordy Lord, this is tedious but at least I've got it down to a fine art now🤣), bike restarted. It now ticks over much better 👍, it clearly prefers the 40s as the slow jets. Great, I think it's done, hoo-fecking-ray.

Dream on kiddo.

I leave it to tick over and warm up, can knock the SE valve off, all good, ticking over at c1300 revs, nice. Blip the throttle, revs rise to 5-6K, release the throttle, it snaps shut, revs drop instantly but then hang around 2.3to3K. Adjust the throttle idol screw - decking fiddly to get to with the airbox on, revs drop, but too much, and bike stalls. Now I know readers might think I adjusted the idle knob too far but I didn't we're talking about a 30 degree rotation that's all, which has to be reversed in order to get the bike to start and idle again.

Seriously, I give up. It's not even my bike, just trying to help out a friend. It's rideable, I know as I took it out for a test ride, as long as you can live with the fact the revs don't fall below 3K until they feel like it.

It really is perplexing. It's symptomatic of an air leak but where?

I read on AN Other forum of someone who had a similar problem which his mechanic eventually traced (allegedly) to "a leaking oil seal in the engine" but I'm at a loss to think what oil seal or gasket could be leaking that would permit air to enter the intake manifold and lean out the mixture.

Anyway, it’s now been given back to its owner, slightly better but nowhere near perfect 🙁.

Went to a local place close to work this evening called "Wetlands". It's on every Wednesday evening and years since I went. (y)

Took Elsie for a spin and she's going to the RD Owners Club event in Bishop Auckland on Saturday too. 🥴

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg
IMG_3949.jpg

Last edited:
Had a full tank rideout today, called a man "hon" without realising and collected a shitload of sandflies etc on my visor. The BSA rider has 14 bikes, all british, 13 are single cyls and all but one go and are ridden regularly.. that may qualify as some type of record...
20220814_121640.jpg
20220814_150944.jpg

I washed Elsie after yesterday's jaunt. She looks as good as new. :)

Then decided to change the oil and filter on the Vespa GTS. When I went to the dealer last week I also asked for a new sump pung ring along with a filter and oil. "I don't have any in, but they are a rubber ring and you are OK to re-use them". 🤷‍♂️ So taking the sump plug out today, I crack it open and it's strangely tight to loosen until it's almost out. Sod's law and the rubber gasket has stuck at one point on the engine casing and torn. :mad: eBay only have them in Germany. Amazon don't do them so I'm callin the dealer tomorrow to order a couple. :cautious:

Back