tboooe's Superlight Mk1 restoration

tboooe

Since there is not much activity in this forum I figure I would spice it up a bit with my restoration of a 93 US spec Superlight Mk1. We only got this model for 1 year and only in yellow. I guess its kind of rare. So sit back and wonder in amazement at my hack skillz and have a few laughs as I ineptly attempt to bring this bike back to its former glory.

Here is the bike today:
20220129_152315.jpg
Superlight Restoration 03.jpeg
20210509_124338.jpg

So a bit of history. The previous owner binned the bike back in 1997 and decided it was too expensive to fix so this was his solution. Thankfully he had the good sense to keep the 2 piece mag Marvic wheels, top triple, seat unit, and tank. Sourcing the missing bits like side and front fairing, clipons, dash, misc bolts hasnt been too difficult. At this point I am still figuring out what odd bits and bobs I still need to buy. After that I can put the carbs, airbox, and tank back on and maybe fire her up!!!

Superlight Restoration 01.jpeg
Superlight Restoration 02.jpeg

So a bit of history. The previous owner binned the bike back in 1997 and decided it was too expensive to fix so this was his solution. Thankfully he had the good sense to keep the 2 piece mag Marvic wheels, top triple, seat unit, and tank. Sourcing the missing bits like side and front fairing, clipons, dash, misc bolts hasnt been too difficult. At this point I am still figuring out what odd bits and bobs I still need to buy. After that I can put the carbs, airbox, and tank back on and maybe fire her up!!!

View attachment 41406View attachment 41407
It doesn’t look too bad as it is although I agree it really ought be put back to its original state 👍

It doesn’t look too bad as it is although I agree it really ought be put back to its original state 👍
I would love to see your opinion of what looks bad!!! All kidding aside, for me the Superlight is one of the most beautiful designs Ducati has ever produced. Something about the low profile lines of the fuel tank and how it integrates into the seat unit makes me juicy. Hopefully I can restore it back to this:

1645902836711.png

I would love to see your opinion of what looks bad!!! All kidding aside, for me the Superlight is one of the most beautiful designs Ducati has ever produced. Something about the low profile lines of the fuel tank and how it integrates into the seat unit makes me juicy. Hopefully I can restore it back to this:

View attachment 41410
Hope you do get it back to this state and yes they are a gorgeous bike, i nearly got one some years back but life got in the way, good luck with the build(y).

I would love to see your opinion of what looks bad!!!
Unfortunately (or most likely fortunately) I don’t have any photos of a certain individual’z ‘cafe racer’ builds. Thankfully. However, on this rare occasion I wish I did, for then I could show you something REALLLLLY bad.

With a bit of luck someone else might have a photo @Noobie 😉

Unfortunately (or most likely fortunately) I don’t have any photos of a certain individual’z ‘cafe racer’ builds. Thankfully. However, on this rare occasion I wish I did, for then I could show you something REALLLLLY bad.

With a bit of luck someone else might have a photo @Noobie 😉

Before it's gender transformation, this was a Ducati 900ss

B9A359B8-88C8-467C-B2C1-FBEFCCE4C8E3.jpeg

Before this gender reassignment, this was a monster S4, The forks are not genuine carbon forks but carbon flat pieces add on's to the normal forks

3377DA33-30B9-4F27-B1E3-4395257DA84C.jpeg

hey guys, here is a part I need that I have not been unable to find. Perhaps some kind soul on here has one laying around in their shed? The part # is 82710551A and its the front brake line clamp that attaches to the lower triple. Pretty please?

1645979930906.png

hey guys, here is a part I need that I have not been unable to find. Perhaps some kind soul on here has one laying around in their shed? The part # is 82710551A and its the front brake line clamp that attaches to the lower triple. Pretty please?

View attachment 41503

How hard did you look - Ducati still have them for less £2 :unsure: try a dealer over there...

How hard did you look - Ducati still have them for less £2 :unsure: try a dealer over there...

LOL thank you. I thought I checked pretty thoroughly using my usual sources in the EU. I wonder if its really available though. That part has been unavailable for a while now. I will check.

EDIT...actually @Exige how hard did YOU look? The website says out of stock!

You could use, until you find the right bracket, a couple of p clips to hold the brake lines steady ?

Back