1198S owners, could you do me a favour please? Stock suspension settings.

Phatty

New member
Just after the stock suspension settings out of the owners manual, including ride height and ride height adjuster length if it's in there?

Only had the bike out on track once but it's WAYY to stiff, doesn't grip or feel very nice at all (compared to my well setup S4RS).
 
Many thanks. Mine has the factory Ohlins suspension on it (if it mentions that in the manual, not sure if it's a different manual for the S models?)
 
standard factory for front forks
compression 8 clicks 1198s
rebound 10 clicks
spring preload 1198s starting with adjuster screwed fully out , screw in clockwise 8 turns which corresponds to 8 mm

shock adjuster settings 1198s

from the fully closed position (turned fully clockwise)
adjuster 1 by 10 clicks
adjuster 2 by 10 clicks
spring preload 23mm


the length of the tie rod between the centre of the two eyes should not exceed 285 mm .
it doesn't actually state what the ride height should be.

I can scan these pages if you wish
 
great info,. thanks all.

The ride height adjuster is aftermarket, I had no idea if it's the right length. rear end is rock solid, literally only sags 10mm when I sit on it.

23mm rear preload? where's that measured? is that rear rider sag? and yes, I need the scans please to know which adjuster is which. The rebound adjuster on the back is a pig to get to.
 
Doesn't show the 1198S. The 1198 and 1198SP in that manual both have different rear shocks.

I'm also using FG511 forks off an 1098S.

I've set the front preload and it feels loads better already but the back is still WAAAAY to hard. No traction at all and it feels horrible.
 
I would take your bike and get it set up by a specialist. My Bayliss was rock solid when I got it. I spent £70 at ERS at knockhill and its now a superb handling bike. With the original settings Eddie stated the bike was like riding a plank.
 
Only problem with that is you can't really give them any feedback. It's a track bike only you see, so I'd really need to work with someone at the track. But it's so bad I want to get it somewhere near base settings to start with before it spits me off.

The previous owner was clearly clueless, he wrote it off, and now I can see why!
 
Back
Top Bottom