5 day tour of the South West Ireland 500

IMG_1385.webp
Not wanting to let them Scots fellas behind the NC500 have it all their own way I spent a lot of time putting together a 500 mile touring route around the 5 peninsulas of South West Ireland; the SWI500. This part of the world is just as beautiful, just as rugged, just as remote (in places) but definitely less congested than the NC500 can be and of course its the beautiful west of Ireland with it's temperate, gulf stream warmed climate, and, it's part of the Wild Atlantic Way.

Now there is some light at the end of the pandemic tunnel I've resurrected the tour I had to cancel last year. It’s a 6 night, 5 day tour, all of which you can do without having to cart all your luggage around as we return to the same base each evening.

The itinerary is as follows:

Sun 5th September - arrive in Kenmare, Co. Kerry, staying at the Kenmare Bay Hotel for the week. This hotel has been chosen for a variety of reasons;
- safe off street parking for the bikes at the front of the hotel,
- within walking distance (10 mins) of Kenmare town centre,
- it has an indoor swimming pool, steam room, sauna, beauty and therapy treatment rooms all available FOC to guests.
- the food is good and the breakfasts are copious.
Sunday evening we eat together in the hotel - a kind of get to know everyone meal.
Mon 6th Sept - we head south, over the Cork & Kerry mountains (made famous by ‘Whiskey in the Jar’, Thin Lizzie and the Dubliners) via the Caha Pass to tour the Mizen & Sheepshead peninsulas
Tues 7th Sept - tour the Beara peninsula, traversing the Healy Pass
Wed 8th Sept - tour the Iveagh (Ring of Kerry) peninsula, with a variety of routes at our disposal
Thurs 9th Sept - free day - relax and explore Kenmare or suggested routes can be provided if you want to ride out.
Fri 10th Sept - tour the Dingle peninsula, taking in the Slea Head Drive and the Connor Pass
Sat 11th Sept - depart.

The tour is designed to provide relaxed touring days, no early starts, we’ll be leaving around 10am each day, no late returns and with several stops for photos, coffee/tea breaks and food; you even have me, a blow-in local, on hand each day to assist and guide.

Rooms have been booked on a B&B basis with the inclusion of a group 'get to know everyone' supper on the Sunday night. Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri nights people are free to do what they want and there are plenty of good bars and restaurants, of all standards, in Kenmare.

Costs : £790 per person on a single occupancy basis, if you’re bringing a partner then let me know as the cost/person will be less.

Included:
6 nights accommodation
6 breakfasts
1 evening meal
Dedicated parking outside the hotel (don't worry this is very low crime area, your bike will be safe)
Assistance of me as tour guide
Maps and route guidance instructions.

Not included:
Getting to and from Kenmare, although help, guidance and assistance with routes & ferries can be provided.
Bikes
Fuel
Tea/Coffee/Drinks/Lunch during the day
Evening meals on each of Mon-Fri
Travel insurance
Breakdown insurance

Payment:

£250/person deposit required when making the booking
Full balance due no later than 31st July 2021
In the event you have to pull out before 31st July you will receive a full refund of the £250 deposit
In the event you have to pull out after the 31st July deposits and any balance paid will only be refunded if your space can be re-sold.

There are 6 places available so don’t delay.
IMG_1433.webp
IMG_3605.webp
IMG_1398.webp
IMG_2398.webp
IMG_3293.webp
 
Righto, still 2 places a left, I’ve a few humming and hawing about whether to go or not but now’s the time to make a decision. Don’t worry the weather will be fine (mostly) but the craic will be mighty @WAYNE it might even be good for you and your ponytail to get out of Shithampton for a week 👍. If anyone else needs to get their batteries recharged and have a bit of mindfulness for their mental state, this is your chance, I guarantee you’ll come away with a different perspective on the world 👍
 
Righto, still 2 places a left, I’ve a few humming and hawing about whether to go or not but now’s the time to make a decision. Don’t worry the weather will be fine (mostly) but the craic will be mighty @WAYNE it might even be good for you and your ponytail to get out of Shithampton for a week 👍. If anyone else needs to get their batteries recharged and have a bit of mindfulness for their mental state, this is your chance, I guarantee you’ll come away with a different perspective on the world 👍

Cue people saying "I wish I'd went" once it's underway. :)

It happens every time with a few of my mates when we organise somehting. They talk for about 8 months of the year about doing a "trip", then go all quiet for a few months beforehand, once they have to step up. They start getting vocal about having wished they had went once it's underway or finished. :LOL:
 
Righto, still 2 places a left, I’ve a few humming and hawing about whether to go or not but now’s the time to make a decision. Don’t worry the weather will be fine (mostly) but the craic will be mighty @WAYNE it might even be good for you and your ponytail to get out of Shithampton for a week 👍. If anyone else needs to get their batteries recharged and have a bit of mindfulness for their mental state, this is your chance, I guarantee you’ll come away with a different perspective on the world 👍
Thanks Paul i would love to but i have so many things to sort and deal with at the moment so to look ahead to September is a real headfuck, i do need to get away from it all even for a weekend, i have my eye on the weather for BSB Donington next weekend, if it's dry :rolleyes: i'm thinking of going up there for the weekend, i good race meet would be good for me and i haven't been up there since Motogp 2008, i love that track and hope Motogp goes back there as Silverstone is crap as a spectator, good luck mate and hope you get the last places booked(y).
 
Thanks Paul i would love to but i have so many things to sort and deal with at the moment so to look ahead to September is a real headfuck, i do need to get away from it all even for a weekend, i have my eye on the weather for BSB Donington next weekend, if it's dry :rolleyes: i'm thinking of going up there for the weekend, i good race meet would be good for me and i haven't been up there since Motogp 2008, i love that track and hope Motogp goes back there as Silverstone is crap as a spectator, good luck mate and hope you get the last places booked(y).
Have you been vaxxed ? (Not Vax the vacuum cleaner, I know - feck it the whole world knows - you use Hettie for that. Not Henry coz that’d be gay). Have you had the Covids? If the answer to either is yes, you can travel here, without having to stick a pregnancy test stick up your nose like @The skitz 🤣. In which case, just book a ferry from Pembroke/Fishguard and let me do the rest. If anything it will give your todger a rest as you’ll be on the bike all day, or in the pub. Oh, and we have real Guinness here 👍. Seems a no brainer to me.
 
Last edited:
Have you been vaxxed ? (Not Vax the vacuum cleaner, I know - feck it the whole world knows - you use Hettie for that. Not Henry coz that’d be gay). Have you had the Covids? If the answer to either is yes, you can travel here, without having to stick a pregnancy test stick up your nose like @The skitz 🤣. I’m which case, just book a ferry from Pembroke/Fishguard and let me do the rest. If anything it will give your todger a rest as you’ll be on the bike all day, or in the pub. Oh, and we have real Guinness here 👍. Seems a no brainer to me.
Agree dude totaly agree, the old chap could do with a break, it kind of look it at all pissed off like and i just say piss in the fucking toilet and miss it like a bloke FFS, you are a salesman, i can,t my man things are too stupid at the mo, i am also in the process of helping my friend getting his boat sorted, new rudder and all that, thank thanks paul as ever you be a good geezer!! (y)
 
So who’ve you got coming?

I would very much liked to come but I’m heading south, it’s been booked for some time and I could do with some sunshine.

Enjoy it and pics + reports too please.
 
So who’ve you got coming?

I would very much liked to come but I’m heading south, it’s been booked for some time and I could do with some sunshine.

Enjoy it and pics + reports too please.
Rob, his mate and a couple of new to me people via a FB campaign I ran. I booked 7 rooms so would like to fill them all, hence 2 rooms left 👍
 
I've just been to the chemist for my monthly prescription of potions and lotions. 💊 💉

My local friendly pharmacist started some generic chit chat about going on holiday this year. I said I was going to Ireland in Sept, to which she asked "Are you from there?" 😲

Not sure why she would think that, but I think I really think I need to top up my pasty white skin ☀️ 😎
 
I've just been to the chemist for my monthly prescription of potions and lotions. 💊 💉

My local friendly pharmacist started some generic chit chat about going on holiday this year. I said I was going to Ireland in Sept, to which she asked "Are you from there?" 😲

Not sure why she would think that, but I think I really think I need to top up my pasty white skin ☀️ 😎
Dove is your friend 👍

04999183-84F9-4D4B-B9BC-3F6603F66878.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom