748R-02 Considerations

Messer

Member
Hi all, first post 'back' in the circles since using other forums when I had my last 748 - an SP (RxxxRNK if its still around?)

Anyways, sold my SP to buy an MV Agusta which was a bad decision as I loved my SP and wasnt too fussed with the agusta. Now, all my bikes are 2 strokes but always wanted another 748 special edition such as SP or R.

Now, a 2002 R has been offered to me. Its a yellow one, with full ohlins, spray injectors etc and chassis number and engine numbers correct for an R. The airbox sides are yellow which Im not sure is correct as most images seem to be black or carbon? Its done 10k miles, and has been sat around a year or so as the lads emigrated. The side panels are flat sided correct, but are full panels with the small belly panel and not the half split panels they should have.

It was CAT D insurance loss back in 2002 when it wasnt even a year old, but its been offered to me for 3k. Seem fair in the current market even with CAT D?

Anything I need to check on these, or know in particular?
 
Hi Messer,
I had the same bike in yellow for about 5 years.It was one of the best Ducatis I have owned.The faster you went on it the better it got.It handled good with the Ohlins suspension and it gave excellent feedback.You need the 50mm terms full system for the best performance.I also fitted 12 point injectors from 999r which clean the fuelling in the mid range and a small gain at the top end.
Body panels should be split type and air box carbon which is the bigger air box compared to the standard bike.
I would advise you to check cams and followers as these bikes only go when you rev them.A lot more wear on the valve gear.Also check steering head bearings as when built at the factory very sparse with the grease.I also fitted taper steering bearings and it made the front end more stable.
If you need any more help PM me.
 
Thanks for advice and pointers. On closer inspection it turns out the bike is a bit of a bitsa, wrong airbox, wrong tail section, wrong brake calipers to name a few.

I'll keep looking for a 2001/2002 R, SP or 996s, 916 etc
 
Back
Top Bottom