Advice please 750ss

schrimy

New member
OK! you Ducati aficionados. I have seen what looks like a nice example of a ‘R’ reg 750ss. 18k on the clock. Looks unmolested and I am a little tempted, but knowing nothing about the air cooled ‘belters’, I though you chaps and chapesses might be able to say if they make a good bike and what to look out for…..any advice muchly appreciated. :)
 
They're great. They're basically bullet proof (an R reg one had all the earlier foibles sorted) and they are capable of big mileages. You hear people going on about electrical issues, clutch issues, yada, yada, yada, but I think most of it is rubbish. The one thing that did affect them was an issue with cylinder studs snapping, but again that should have been sorted on one that age. The updated studs are black in colour, the snappy ones are bare metal so you can check by having a look.

Go for it - you certainly won't lose money on it if you buy it at the right price.

Cheers,

Kenny.
 
Good advise from Kenny, I like the relative simplicity of the Supersport series....

Great bike buying guide here on the forum, mainly aimed at SuperBikes but quite a lot applies to the SS series:

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/buyingused.php

Only items I'd add in...

Check the headstock for cracks in the paintwork, might hide worse below.
Try and look in the tank towards the seat, can be quite rusted inside.
Cracks can appear around the swingarm mounts, esp Alloy. 750's are steel in the main but anythings possible!

Good luck
 
The updated studs are black in colour, the snappy ones are bare metal so you can check by having a look.

The "shiny" ones are stainless steel I think and lack tensile strength, the later ones (black) are a carbon steel hence probably carbon blacked or oil quenched tempered.

Cracked frames can be welded (but better brazed with an additional plate), swing arm cracks are often from overtightened pinch bolts, tanks can be sorted with POR15, possibly plated too if they are bad.
 
Thanks chaps that just what I wanted. As for the cylinder bolts how the hell do check them? Take a nut off?
Ta!
 
I would guess so, to look it may just be possible to remove all four (not just one) nuts from front the cylinder head and you might be able to see the top section. You will need to undo do all four in order to torque them back down correctly. I am about to do much the same with mine soon, I'll let you know when I've had a go. Derek may know another way to check.
 
I wouldn't try undoing them, that's when they are most likely to snap! You should be able to identify the stud type by the end that protrudes through the top of the nut. If it's bright and shiny it's he snappy sort, if it's dull and black it's the good kind.
 
I wouldn't try undoing them, that's when they are most likely to snap! You should be able to identify the stud type by the end that protrudes through the top of the nut. If it's bright and shiny it's he snappy sort, if it's dull and black it's the good kind.

Thanks Derek. I'll check when I go and have a look. However if they are the snappy sort, can I just replace them with the black ones without and taking the top end to bits?
Ta!
 
Thanks Derek. I'll check when I go and have a look. However if they are the snappy sort, can I just replace them with the black ones without and taking the top end to bits?
Ta!

It looks unlikely - there doesn't appear to be a lot of room to get hold of the stud.
 
No is probably the short answer but unless you want to live dangerously and potentially have to drill out a snapped stud I would leave them alone! ;)
 
I shall be tackling two this weekend...................... :)

Actually two are already broken but I shall be doing all four at once.
 
Well Pete looks like your in for a fun weekend!!
One more daft question after I have spent all day reading stuff on 750ss's. If its a 97 (R) should it be carby or injection?
 
Cheers Frank.

The DSC link is amusing, amusing in that folks don't see there is anything wrong with replacing just the ONE stud rather than doing the job right with all four. They would probably bang on for weeks about setting them all carefully with a torque wrench and so on. Basic common sense engineering (or even mechanical knowledge) would dictate the answer to that.

Then the inability to see that the repair is stronger than the original in that you are putting an obviously better material into a softer one.

The last one is just comical. Comical but efficient no doubt. Mountains and molehills really but the result is achieved.
 
Well Pete looks like your in for a fun weekend!!
One more daft question after I have spent all day reading stuff on 750ss's. If its a 97 (R) should it be carby or injection?

Weekend? About two hours worth with luck..........

Injection? It depends on when it was built and then when it was registered. The two bikes are different.
 
If they are stainless use a magnet on top, stainless is non magnetic unless they have used 308 grade which I doubt.Make sure you are not touching the nut though.
 
OK! you Ducati aficionados. I have seen what looks like a nice example of a ‘R’ reg 750ss. 18k on the clock. Looks unmolested and I am a little tempted, but knowing nothing about the air cooled ‘belters’, I though you chaps and chapesses might be able to say if they make a good bike and what to look out for…..any advice muchly appreciated. :)
Chris,
Not wishing to P1SS on yer parade here......but have you thought about riding position on the SS, I am of course thinking about yer back here after your surgery, is the riding position going to be a tad extreme?? just a thought mate.....
 
Could be either carb or injection but would more likely be a late carb.
Bodywork is an easy way to tell. Flat fairing panels (carb) or curvy(injection)?
As regards riding position I have always thought the SS range wasn't that extreme?
Well certainly not compared to what I ride! :lol2:
Pal with back issues has major problems on 916 etc range but not bad on the SS.
Probably has a wet clutch as opposed to the dry clutch death rattle on most Ducs so quieter.
5 speed box which in many ways I prefer. Engine on the 750 is "sweet" compared to the lumpy by comparison 900.
 
According to the Guru Falloon, the 750 in 1997 was carb, the FI being reserved for the last year of 750 production in 1998.

Required bible reading for SS aficionados:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ducati-Super-Sport-Haynes-Great/dp/1859606725

51Q3BJST8JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
 
Chris,
Not wishing to P1SS on yer parade here......but have you thought about riding position on the SS, I am of course thinking about yer back here after your surgery, is the riding position going to be a tad extreme?? just a thought mate.....


Yep Bruce, a good question. I have been riding my road race cycle with not much problem, except that it makes my kneck hurt a little after some miles. If Ido buy it I dont think I will be doing many long runs on it I have the st for that, but you are right, I will have to have a little bumble about on it to see how it is.
Cheers.
 
According to the Guru Falloon, the 750 in 1997 was carb, the FI being reserved for the last year of 750 production in 1998.

Required bible reading for SS aficionados:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ducati-Super-Sport-Haynes-Great/dp/1859606725





[qimg]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q3BJST8JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/qimg]

Just spoke to the vendor, SHE said its a 98 she has had it since 07 and its not done many miles while she has had it . Had a full service in March, belts , new battery, shims etc! done 70 miles since. Its all beginig to sound toooooo good! But I'm off for a look anyway, she has all the paperwork, and will let me have the V5 and reg numbers to check on the Gov website.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for all the good advice.
What a resource......
 
Don't worry about the riding position - it's actually not that much different from the ST - you're slightly more upright on the ST, but I've found the SS to be fairly comfortable (certainly compared to the Darmah SS!).
 
Just spoke to the vendor, SHE said its a 98 she has had it since 07

Probably a 97 carbed bike that wasn't registered until 98. R reg only takes you to July 1998 so probably too soon for a FI bike.
Nothing wrong with that though.
 
750ss

My first Duke was a brand new yellow 750SS in '97 from Alvins.

I loved it, very sweet engine and quite comfortable, in fact i did a tour of France on it with throw overs and my tank bag.

It was the last of the old shape with full fairing and twin disc brakes. It was definitely carb because the one fault it did have was the dreaded carb icing !

:)
 
Back
Top Bottom