After 8 years it has finally happened...

PaulV

New member
My first breakdown on a Ducati....:mad:

So heading down the motorway after a trip into Glasgow today and all power goes instantly, all other electrics look ok but nothing from the starter button at all, motor doesn't fire at all and as I was slowing down it was obvious I wasn't getting any attempt at fuel ignition.

Fuses look ok so where do I look for clues. Faulty starter/kill switch? Regulator? :dunno:
 
It has to be something on the ignition sub-loom - check the main fuse to side of battery and check kill switch and connections back to loom.
Carbie 900 or IE?
 
Check the main fuse A1, the one at the top of the fuse box. Then the main relay. I'm not sure where it is on your bike, possibly near to the fuse box. You should hear it click as you turn the ignition on and off. If not any of these possibly a faulty ignition switch.
 
One problem I have is it isn't a standard loom or routed as normal. Main fuse looked ok when I checked it at the side of the motorway, and the battery is brand new.

It is a 96 model with a carb set-up.

Nothing wrong with the nut connected to the handle bars either;)

Not in any rush to fix it but keep the ideas coming.

Thanks
 
Derek, Ignition switch ok and relay clicking as you would expect, it is actually mounted under the seat by the fuses in the standard place.:eek:

I'll find the electrical schematic I have got and work through the circuit......sometime.... to much else on just know to dedicate enough time to really getting stuck into it. I've stripped off the tank to make access easier but not really got much further than that.
 
OK, Paul. I'm aware of the non-standard loom but it's really just been modified to get all the wires out of sight.
The output of the main relay (pin30) should feed 12V to all the other fuses when the relay points closed (ignition switch ON). The second fuse (position B2) provides power to the ignition circuit and the starter circuit, so that's the next place to look. It's worth checking the fuse blades, they can get oxidised and prevent power from getting through even if the fuse isn't actually blown.
 
Well after just over a month of not bothering my arse I decided to take a look at the dormant beast in the garage....
Got hold of a manual on disc and printed out what I thought might be relevant. Got a few tools together and headed out to the garage for what promised to be a long, knuckle scrapping, oil covered, frustrating session.

Well what do you know:idea:.... checked over all the fuses again and found the 7.5A ignition fuse had actually failed mechanically, not blown due to load, just cracked.

Bike back together and running well...just in time for a decent sunday weather wise:cool::D:flash:
 
Back
Top Bottom