ducati owners nightmare

brokenleg

New member
This picture was taken when the cambelt snapped on a 748. i think the bike had covered about 12000 miles with original belts.
 
A real state, but 12,000 miles without a belt change is asking for trouble. I wouldn't have thought a set of belts could last so long.
 
Is it a recent event?

The 748 ceased production in 2003 though you haven't said when this one was made, and no matter what mileage thats a long time to be on original belts.
 
FX: Ouch!

Here is the bevel version...
DSCF6324.jpg
 
A real state, but 12,000 miles without a belt change is asking for trouble. I wouldn't have thought a set of belts could last so long.

The belt change interval is 12,000 miles or 2 years, which ever comes first. The belts should be capable of lasting well past 12,000 but the manufacturer has to factor in a safety margin.
Belts seldom break for no reason. Maybe too loose and it jumped a few teeth? Too tight and it just broke under load with a hot engine? Tensioner adjusted in the wrong direction allowing opposite runs of the belt to touch? A foreign body? Who knows :dunno:
 
The belt change interval is 12,000 miles or 2 years, which ever comes first. The belts should be capable of lasting well past 12,000 but the manufacturer has to factor in a safety margin.
Belts seldom break for no reason. Maybe too loose and it jumped a few teeth? Too tight and it just broke under load with a hot engine? Tensioner adjusted in the wrong direction allowing opposite runs of the belt to touch? A foreign body? Who knows :dunno:

The OP stated these were the original belts, the last 748's are well over ten years old, if this is a recent failure then that is less of a surprise, especially if at 12000 miles the bike seems to have sat with the same belts unused for much of it's life.
 
Aye, but he doesn't say when it broke. It could have been last week or it could have been 10 years ago. Without all the facts all we know is it broke.
 
I originally pulled this from American Ducati owners club website quite a few years ago.

The bloke had purchased it and run it for 4 or more years without changing the belts, the total mileage for the bike was 12000 miles. The cause of the belt snapping, was not completely determined it could of been age or the belt becoming loose and came off getting caught on the way.
 
Hello folks. That photo is mine
Just to let you know what really happened. No it hadn't been run for 12k miles before I got round to replacing belts
In fact they had only just been changed
What really happened was the inlet camshaft bearing seized
It was locked solid. What locked it I do not know.
I actually took the opportunity to strip the bike completely re paint the frame and fit a 916sp motor.
The 748 SPS motor is on my bench being cleaned up. Unbelievably there was no other damage to the engine
 
I am sure I pulled this from an American ducati website, anywhere it's nice to know what happened and being lucky you didn't smash the valves. :)
 
I believe that I only posted it on the old Ducatisti web site. I am a member on Ducati.ms but I didn't post it there somebody else may have posted it on there.
It's definitely mine I could repost it with the rebuild photos and then the rebuild of the 916sp which dropped a valve. Ahead broke off and mashed the head and piston.
I had the head welded and re shaped with new guides an forged valves at a company in Northallerton
 
Back
Top Bottom