Ducati TT3 Difazio

iconic944ss

Elite Member
As a degenerate who always lusted after a Quasar, I admire the determination to follow this project through....

ducati-900ss.jpg


The builder, Bernard Mont, calls the bike a “TT3 Difazio”—an imagined collaboration between the engineers Fabio Taglioni and Jack Difazio. And thanks to the Belgian photography collective True Biker Spirit, we can examine this unique motorcycle in detail.

ducati-900ss-1.jpg


Jack Difazio was a bike builder living in England who specialized in hub center steering. By the time he died earlier this year, he’d built up a small but very loyal following. Bernard is one of Difazio’s biggest fans, and spent seven years creating this tribute to Difazio’s engineering prowess. Starting with a Ducati 900 SS as the donor bike, he shortened the frame, fitted a custom subframe, and heavily upgraded the engine.



ducati-900ss-2.jpg


The exhaust pipework is a Lazer GP, modified to receive SuperTrapp mufflers. A beautiful Aermacchi mono-seat has been mounted on the custom subframe, and the front has been treated to a TT fairing to echo Taglioni’s era.

The front wheel comes from a Guzzi V11 and received the Difazio hub. The front suspension is crafted from steel triangles and two tailor-made Öhlins shocks. The rear suspension is supported by an Extreme Tech shock with a custom spring designed by Bernard.

It’s a classic prototype in the traditional sense of the word, with a vision brought to life by inspired engineering. Head over to Bernard’s blog for more images, including spreads from the excellent French magazine Cafe Racer.

Original story via: http://www.bikeexif.com/custom-ducati-900ss

_FP06643.jpg


_FP06384.jpg


_FP06405.jpg


More Photo's Here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/
 
A chap I do the shows with has what he claims is the only genuine Difazio-built Ducati in the world. It's based on an early 750ss.

The front end looks heavy to me though, so I'm guessing its handling is no better with this fitted (..if it's even as good) as it was with the original forks. It's an interesting bike, and it certainly draws the crowds!
 
Think I saw this bike pictured at a trackday somewhere?

The owner's name is Keith, and I believe he lives in Middlesbrough, or thereabouts. He generally stands alongside his bike whilst it's on show, and he's forever being asked to demonstrate how it works. This goes on all day :eek:. He's got more patience than me!

The photo I posted was taken at Croft Circuit, during Nostalgia Weekend of 2010, and on that day he and I were allowed onto the track to give the spectators a better look (..and listen) to our bikes; much to the disgust of the other chaps who had to line-up theirs in a static display on the field alongside. I heard some months afterwards that they (..the Teesside Yesteryear Motor Club, I believe) kicked up quite a stink over it with the organisers :lol2:
 
Last edited:
A chap I do the shows with has what he claims is the only genuine Difazio-built Ducati in the world. It's based on an early 750ss.

The front end looks heavy to me though, so I'm guessing its handling is no better with this fitted (..if it's even as good) as it was with the original forks. It's an interesting bike, and it certainly draws the crowds!

As far as I remember reading hub centre steering has masses of advantages over conventional forks seperating the breaking and suspension in turn helping in keeping the geometry of the bike, it is the amount of time in the manufacuring and suppose the maintanence may be why these have not been used greatly on production bikes.
 
As far as I remember reading hub centre steering has masses of advantages over conventional forks seperating the breaking and suspension in turn helping in keeping the geometry of the bike, it is the amount of time in the manufacuring and suppose the maintanence may be why these have not been used greatly on production bikes.

Yes, that's what I understand too.

Another negative is that hub centre systems don't dive but diving is what most riders/racers are used to, so they tend to take a long time to get up to speed with it. The geometry change when the forks compress is quickens the steering which top riders apparently take advantage of.

There was a similar problem with the Ohlins 2 wheel drive system - because it feels different to "normal" although there is a theoretical advantage, people are initially slower and don't like that...
 
For those interested here is a supplier for the seat unit http://www.raggededgeracing.com/38.html I have bought a complete fairing and seat unit for my TT from this guy. Very light fairings may need additional matting for the seat and mounting points but sure he will make to order.
 
Back
Top Bottom