Holiday health cover and GHIC

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
I know most of you will be aware of the need for holiday insurance but also as we left the eu we no longer have use of the EHIC scheme (European Health Insurance Scheme). It has been replaced however with the GHIC ( Global Health Insurance Scheme). It is Free and allows basic healthcare in certain countries.


 
I know most of you will be aware of the need for holiday insurance but also as we left the eu we no longer have use of the EHIC scheme (European Health Insurance Scheme). It has been replaced however with the GHIC ( Global Health Insurance Scheme). It is Free and allows basic healthcare in certain countries.


This is the E111 card in Ireland... great scheme to sign up to my son broke both his ankles playing basketball while in college in valencia.... never paid a penny for a single treatment in Spain... nasty break on one ankle so ended up with a lot of muscle wastage and treatment
IMG-20240229-WA0015.webp
IMG-20240328-WA0000.webp
 
This is the E111 card in Ireland... great scheme to sign up to my son broke both his ankles playing basketball while in college in valencia.... never paid a penny for a single treatment in Spain... nasty break on one ankle so ended up with a lot of muscle wastage and treatment View attachment 137191View attachment 137192
Ouchy, broke my right ankle nearly forty years ago playing rugby, still remember the pain to this day!
 
Ouchy, broke my right ankle nearly forty years ago playing rugby, still remember the pain to this day!
He jumped up to intercept a shot on the net came down and knew he done damage... he walked to the pharmacy were the lovely lady wouldn't let him go and got an ambulance for him.. compared to Ireland his treatment was fantastic it was her who told him she reckoned both ankles were broke . One very bad one barely... to our surprise we also can't fault Ryanair who looked after him from Spain all the way to arrivals in Dublin which was another pleasant surprise 👌
 
This is the E111 card in Ireland... great scheme to sign up to my son broke both his ankles playing basketball while in college in valencia.... never paid a penny for a single treatment in Spain... nasty break on one ankle so ended up with a lot of muscle wastage and treatment View attachment 137191View attachment 137192
That bed looks really low and yet your feet aren't on the floor?
 
  • WTF
Reactions: JAT
My brother and sis in law had a head on crash one night in Spain on a country road - both ended up in intensive care, my brother for about 5 days, his wife about 3 weeks. This was pre Brexit. They said the hospitals and care were leagues above ours...you know, the NHS "the envy of the world" so we're told.
 
My brother and sis in law had a head on crash one night in Spain on a country road - both ended up in intensive care, my brother for about 5 days, his wife about 3 weeks. This was pre Brexit. They said the hospitals and care were leagues above ours...you know, the NHS "the envy of the world" so we're told.
I had to use a walk in clinic in Turkey once on a business trip about 20 years ago. Brilliant treatment there and despite me having travel insurance they refused to even raise an invoice or ask for any payment from me.
As far as I can tell the NHS is one of the worst health services in the developed world.
 
I had to use a walk in clinic in Turkey once on a business trip about 20 years ago. Brilliant treatment there and despite me having travel insurance they refused to even raise an invoice or ask for any payment from me.
As far as I can tell the NHS is one of the worst health services in the developed world.
Ireland is a carbon copy of the NHS so we are fucked aswell.
 
For balance my treatment from the NHS, up to date, has always been first class. They have saved my life twice and put me back together on a fair few occasions so no complaints here.
I have probably had to use the NHS on far more occasions than the average Joe as well.
 
For balance my treatment from the NHS, up to date, has always been first class. They have saved my life twice and put me back together on a fair few occasions so no complaints here.
I have probably had to use the NHS on far more occasions than the average Joe as well.
There are many many people who have received excellent treatment from the NHS, my brother included who had a brain tumour diagnosed one day and removed the next. I doubt treatment could have been faster or better anywhere in the world.
Where the NHS falls down badly is with anything non urgent whether that is as simple as being unable to get a prompt appointment to see a GP to waiting months/years for joint replacement, cataract treatment, physiotherapy etc.
 
For balance my treatment from the NHS, up to date, has always been first class. They have saved my life twice and put me back together on a fair few occasions so no complaints here.
I have probably had to use the NHS on far more occasions than the average Joe as well.
Probably similar to Ireland our system for emergency is very good it's all the other shit that they seem to be dismal at ..
 
  • Useful
Reactions: Dox
There are many many people who have received excellent treatment from the NHS, my brother included who had a brain tumour diagnosed one day and removed the next. I doubt treatment could have been faster or better anywhere in the world.
Where the NHS falls down badly is with anything non urgent whether that is as simple as being unable to get a prompt appointment to see a GP to waiting months/years for joint replacement, cataract treatment, physiotherapy etc.
I don’t know if the non urgent treatments are better anywhere else though as I have no experience of that.
It took a year for me to get my shoulder put back in place but would have been quicker if I hadn’t had high blood pressure that needed treating first.
My op on my hand was less than a year which was acceptable to me.
 
I don’t know if the non urgent treatments are better anywhere else though as I have no experience of that.
It took a year for me to get my shoulder put back in place but would have been quicker if I hadn’t had high blood pressure that needed treating first.
My op on my hand was less than a year which was acceptable to me.
Based on what I have heard non urgent service is very much better in many countries.
 
Back
Top Bottom