I've just realised that I haven't owned a Japanese bike since 1996. I've looked through the big four's current models and there isn't a single one that does anything for me, with the possible exception of an MT10SP. And only then because if forced to own am I/L four, that's the only one from any manufacturer, Japanese or otherwise, that would interest me (basically I like the engine but not the rest of the bike).
I'm not anti-Japan in any way. I like nearly all things Japanese: the people, the country, the food, and I trust Japanese engineering above almost all other. But bikes from the land of the rising sun seem to leave me cold and I don't really know why.
There's a few I'd like to like. Yamaha's XSR 900's; Suzuki's GSX nakeds; Honda's Transalp and Africa Twins; Kwak's H2 derivatives. But somehow when I see them in the metal they don't register. At bike meets it's the British, European and American bikes (must test ride an Indian FTR) that draw my eye. The Jap stuff I just walk past.
Are they too "safe" - in performance and styling? Too plasticky? Maybe they give off too much of a corporate whiff. I think there's a hint of that but I'm not sure.
I've had a few Triumphs, Ducatis, KTMs, even a Harley now. Very nearly bought a BMW but veered to KTM at the last minute. I will probably buy more of each before my time is up. I quite fancy a Guzzi or two, and as above, the Indian FTR is interesting, even though I can't think of a good reason to have one. I just want to ride one to see what it's like.
I'm very open minded with bikes. I'd happily have a Harley bagger and a sports bike in the garage at the same time and ride them both and not care what anyone else thinks. I'll test ride anything from supermotos to full dress tourers at dealer open days just out of interest, even if I've got neither the money nor the inclination to buy them. I've never written off any bike off as crap without riding it. I don't look down my nose at other people's choice of bike and I'm not a badge snob. But somehow Japanese bikes just don't invoke the curiosity that I feel they should.
Does anyone else find this?
I'm not anti-Japan in any way. I like nearly all things Japanese: the people, the country, the food, and I trust Japanese engineering above almost all other. But bikes from the land of the rising sun seem to leave me cold and I don't really know why.
There's a few I'd like to like. Yamaha's XSR 900's; Suzuki's GSX nakeds; Honda's Transalp and Africa Twins; Kwak's H2 derivatives. But somehow when I see them in the metal they don't register. At bike meets it's the British, European and American bikes (must test ride an Indian FTR) that draw my eye. The Jap stuff I just walk past.
Are they too "safe" - in performance and styling? Too plasticky? Maybe they give off too much of a corporate whiff. I think there's a hint of that but I'm not sure.
I've had a few Triumphs, Ducatis, KTMs, even a Harley now. Very nearly bought a BMW but veered to KTM at the last minute. I will probably buy more of each before my time is up. I quite fancy a Guzzi or two, and as above, the Indian FTR is interesting, even though I can't think of a good reason to have one. I just want to ride one to see what it's like.
I'm very open minded with bikes. I'd happily have a Harley bagger and a sports bike in the garage at the same time and ride them both and not care what anyone else thinks. I'll test ride anything from supermotos to full dress tourers at dealer open days just out of interest, even if I've got neither the money nor the inclination to buy them. I've never written off any bike off as crap without riding it. I don't look down my nose at other people's choice of bike and I'm not a badge snob. But somehow Japanese bikes just don't invoke the curiosity that I feel they should.
Does anyone else find this?