Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries?

Ironshine

New member
Does anyone have good reports of this type of battery and a known good supplier? Shorai seems to be the manufacturer that comes up on the web most. Cheers.
 
I have been using two Ballistic batteries for almost a year. No problems with them so far, they discharge very slowly while I am away at work and charge back up in a few hours. They say that fully discharging kills them, but one of mine has been very flat twice and came back fine both times. They are very light, I thought the first box was empty when it arrived.

Mike
 
Aside from the mega cost they have the advantage of small size and light weight. They will also hold a charge for a long time. On the downside, Optimates and other trickle chargers with a desulphating cycle will destroy them, although because they hold a charge well they are less likely to need one. Also, their performance when cold is not good. At sub-zero temperatures they won't put out a large current so not good for cold starts but the trick apparently is to switch on the headlight for a minute before trying to start the bike. This warms up the battery enough to produce the necessary power.
 
I have Shorais in my 748 and 900SS. The flickability of the SS was noticeably better as the Shorai was 6kg lighter. Cold starting has not been a problem for me, I usually take the sidecar if it's icey but if it's about -5C and the roads are dry then I take a Ducati. Never had a starting problem either but I've got proper earths allover the place on both bikes plus improved power cables. Still running the standard regulators. The bikes start easily after a three month lay up too.
 
One from our equivalent of Halfords that came with the bike. The one in the 748 was about 4kg so I saved about 3kg there but the battery is pretty close to the centre of mass on the 748 so you don't feel it. 'only' 5.3kg?
 
Had a Shorai 18AH jobbie in my 1100 Hypermotard for the last 18 months or so. No issues whatsover and that includes a 3500 miles trip round Europe/Morocco and then overwintering the bike for nearly 5 months (started first push of the button).
Not exactly cheap but if it's weight loss you're interested in it's way better value (and quicker!) than fitting an alloy subframe. Seriously lightweight - I nearly brained myself the first time I picked one up for a look!
Importing from US saved a few quid (at the time Carrot Cycles couldn't supply the version I wanted).
 
Going back to the charger theme, there are chargers available that are particular to this type of battery. So no need to destroy your battery with the wrong type of charger.
 
Anyone know if there is a particular version of the Opimates that will fuck them? Maybe the new ones are better for them? Maybe i'll have a look into that... Considering getting one for my 996... (Shorai that is)

but the trick apparently is to switch on the headlight for a minute before trying to start the bike. This warms up the battery enough to produce the necessary power.

I was having problems starting my one recently, and this actually worked a treat! Dunno where I saw it, but it was on the forum here somewhere, was a very good shout! :thumbs:
 
Last edited:
I fancy getting one of these batteries when the time comes to change. My bike is kept in a garage which has no power so this type of battery would be good to have for the winter lay off.
 
Back
Top Bottom