Living with the scrambler

gordj65

New member
As some of you may know I got my scrambler before Derek , but unfortunately i have probably done less mileage than him since I got it. So I thought I would share my experiences/thoughts on it from just 1200 miles so far

First and Most importantly its BRILLIANT. It really is, handling is phenominal. You really can get to the edge of those big tyres and they grip when your there. I never get anything doon, Knees , elbows anything . If i get my knee doon generally speaking all the rest of me comes with it but on this I scrape my toes everywhere left hand side or right hand side any tight corner and the soles are scraping the tar. Mid range acceleration is brilliant in the higher gears which is ideal for overtaking. Just give it a bit throttle and your past everything and back in no trouble at all. Another fun thing I have found is my new past time of sports bike baiting. Because it is small and not red , people presume it is just a 125 and when they gather round you at lights all ready to go haring off into the distance, they really don't expect the acceleration and cornering you've got, its only on the straights they pass you.
As you can see from the design there is no wind protection and if your coming from a faired bike that is quite a change. In everyday use 80-85 can be done quite comfortably all day long but anything above 90 is for short bursts only. It is a very sit up and beg riding position so you do get the wind blast big time (its ok it doesn't make you fart.). And it has a lovely wee burble on the over run.
Down sides , there is a few. it reminds me of a Suzuki Van Van a bit with the chunky rear tyre. The rev counter is fairly difficult to see but you quickly get the feel for when it needs changed up a gear by engine noise and on mine the way the throttle cable runs means I cant see the right hand idiot light for the indicator. The seat has a limit of 95 miles before it kills you, you really need to get of before then otherwise your bum will not be happy.
The three more serious issues are it occasionally finds a false neutral both up and down the box, Going up the box is a bit of a nuisance but coming down the box is very awkward, especially if like me your riding style involves using the gears for heavy braking. The throttle is snatchy at low revs in the first three gears and can occasionally catch you out, not so much now that I've managed a few miles but still pops out the woodwork now and again. And the last one is the very light steering , its brilliant for round town and in 99% of road riding it is hard to fault at all, but twice under hard acceleration on hitting poor road surfaces I have had it go into a tank slapper, the first one quite small, the second, bigger and much more alarming.

Saying all that I've let a couple of people have a shot of it and they've loved it, no end of praise, but maybe they haven't ridden it quite as hard as I have. but they have found NO fault with it at all.

Like I said at the start it is BRILLIANT and so far i'm really enjoying it .
 
Aye, you managed to get yours nearly a fortnight before I did - ye scabby faced bugger :p

However, with foreign holidays and a trip to the WPM getting in the way I've only managed to put in 1250 miles so far. But I am in complete agreement with you about how the bike performs and behaves. handling is terrific and I've had no tendency to tank slappers but perhaps my heavier weight helps there, or maybe I'm just a bit more conservative with the throttle :o

It is lovely and light and easy to throw about and is doing a consistent 55 mpg no matter how hard I push it. I've had no problems with false neutrals and the gearchange is nice and slick. Nor do I find the throttle particularly snatchy - quite like the MTS1200 in sport mode i.e quick but controllable. However my bike has a Termi slip on with the "Race" upmap which might improve the fuelling and throttle response.
For me, I found the stock gearing too low, with the running in max revs of 6,000 corresponding to 80 mph. I found myself continually looking for a 7th gear! I've changed the rear sprocket from the standard 46t to a 44t and find this much better, although if the chain would allow it without shortening I'd go down to a 43t or even a 42t. I think in fact that the stock low gearing largely contributes to the perceived snatchy throttle. In other words the bike reacts quickly to small throttle changes due to the low gearing.

The one serious downside is the suspension which is seriously harsh.
If I can quote from Maxton Suspension:
FORKS
The front forks on the Ducati Scrambler look nice but are actually cheap and very crude.
The forks are upside down forks with a spring in both legs but damping only in the right
leg. The standard forks feel very harsh over small bumps this is because the forks have got
too much low speed compression damping. Over high speeds the forks feel like ‘pogosticks’
which means they dive very quickly and spring back at you very quickly. We would describe
the front forks as digressive.
REAR
The standard rear unit is a very cheap unit, probably one of the cheapest you will find on a
modern bike. The unit is not adjustable for damping and is sealed, so it cannot be serviced or
revalved.
The standard unit has very little rebound damping so feels very ‘bouncy’, but it has too much
low speed compression damping which makes the ride feel harsh over bumps. The spring
fitted is a progressive spring, the first rate of the spring is OK for the average rider weight, but
the second rate is too hard and can also make the ride feel hard over big bumps.​

Now I realise that the Scrambler is a budget bike and you get what you pay for but the suspension is the one area for me that really lets the bike down. The rear in particular can jar your spine something awful. I can live with the front but a better rear shock will be going on come the winter. The seat is pretty firm too which doesn't help.

Having said all that I really like the bike and enjoy riding it. It's easy riding manner, light weight and low seat make it a very relaxing bike to ride. :)
 
Get a room you lot for heavens sake it's only a bloody bike :lol2:

Observations after 1.5k miles: Crap suspension, horrible seat, in the wet spray from front wheel on the Classic blows up into your face, headlight is useless, I tried upgrading the bulb what a dockyard job that is, great design Ducati!

Would I sell it? Not a chance! Any negatives are out weighed by the riding experience :D
 
Back
Top Bottom