Monster S2R

cactus

New member
Been considering getting another bike, specifically a Monster. Had been thinking about a liquid cooled 4 valver, possibly an S4, but now my thoughts have turned to getting another air cooled 2 valver, possibly an S2R 1000, they get a great right up. Anybody out there who has some personal experience of this model they'd like to share ?
 
Last edited:
Best looking monster....ever!

Pretty much the best road engine Ducati have made in the DS1000,same as my SC, reliable and simple to service.
I have one of the original 800 models, the 1000 was released the year after, the main differences apart from the engine size- which is also a great real world motor BTW, is the cycle parts on the 1000 were generally better specc'd than the more basic predecessor, adjustable suspension and standard goldline brakes on 320mm discs ( all of which I've replaced on my 800).
Apart from these parts and the motor and headers, the rest of the bike is the same across the range so bits for one should fit all- even endcans(except the S4RS).
I've had clip ons on mine for years and that also highlights how easy they are to modify from stock.
They all came with a cat fitted in the belly, the unflatteringly nicknamed 'udder', this is easily replaced with a bypass pipe, different on the 1000 due to the headers though oddly the same for the 800 and S4R. Replacing the cat will make more difference to the sound than fitting endcans onto the cat, I liked the neat little OE cans( better than any of the aftermarket shapes- except possibly the Mivv X-cones which are great looking) and while I also have a cored set I refitted the standard cans as I was just as happy with them after the cat was replaced.
They aren't getting any cheaper and seem to have found their level pricewise, possibly may even go up again as they are not as common as some other models.
They are common enough for you not to have to rush at the first couple you see though, there was a nice one for sale on UKMOC but I think he changed his mind and will keep it a bit longer.
No particular things to watch out for other than the usual ones when buying a used bike.
Perhaps check the tank mountings are sat on the frame rails and the latch at the front works easily as the plastic tank will be susceptible to deforming if exposed to ethanol used to dilute our petrol, it's a huge issue in the U.S. but has been less prevalent here. Both my bikes have been affected by this but the S2R only slightly so far, emptying the tank for a few months is said to help, I'll find out soon on my SC.
 
These bikes do seem to be well regarded as you've just confirmed, and I agree, they do look great. Pity about the issue with the petrol tank, just don't get why they'd fit a plastic one, and at 1 litre smaller too. So, it's time to start seriously lookin' out for one, although, as they're pretty scarce it's unlikely anything will come up fairly local to me. There are a few on Ebay at the moment but the best of them is pretty much spoken for I was told when I called to enquire about it. By the way, what colour is your S2R Dave G ?
 
No problems, the fuel injection system coped well.
I also have an open airbox which it seemed to cope with too.


I did really like the red ones with the red frame but the white wheels put me off that colour option, so black it was.
 
Later red ones like mine (2006) had black wheels. With the Arrow system I used a Power Commander and a Fat Duc. The first deals with mid to upper rev range and the Fat Duc helped low speed running significantly.
 
The later red 1000 with black wheels looked great, but I dont regret my choice and have now had mine for 11 years.

Pretty much all of them benefits from a change in gearing though and became fairly common, I have a 14t front fitted, if you have enough mileage to change out chain and sprockets then a bigger rear will be better but this also improved low speed behaviour as well as making accelleration livlier and making 6th gear usable.
Not a deal breaker but worth asking if a used bike has standard or altered gearing.
 
All very useful info, thanks very much. I agree that the red with white wheels isn't too clever. Quite like the silver and black myself.
 
And what's wrong with red with white wheels? :rolleyes:
Adams-Ducati-851.jpg

Ducati%20900SS%2091.jpg

yXSQi-FncaxysqeAS3Rab9LpQBanL969Ha8oZ4wu90Ms_729x-lBZ6Cn4dARbxp48l_nenjOGg2dpp4bhEZU8NIfwQWRgG8GugielLye948L8kix-nLy4cUzjzPjs4TjB_JK-pxY0nL6XMWpwUXXCJrlgLMtTiNstsTY-e6J5RiggVOglXfKP3Kqm1NtPwahwmEfWt3SZ97byb7gaPD8f8xaP0fP0ikAFTpWrgAEREkm1BxFobnX6eaim4jrrU071e7hPVXSza876MdxCGepv-TYaHSB9BxdHke8HXqc3DOXhAvT9yZiwMsPDUW8Bbq3QmBQXuM3TxvrJLSkUmnzRf_2DmeF6ZdSkMDH6qQj0DdUDE-AGt0qxR9wZp_9lahiTImUwgcTfkIpgWzktvJnSU8ovNuB36okwiz_0Z4Z_xSzBbxp-AB3bfU5sS2FHFkFRutu29bC_XVLzaadn38jwuqDN5T4G8GJKR0olBP5uzEREBRuRnmPYf4jBL3rjOz0KBr-y6PYQxcLcdsW4e1yr2QmQG4DBgycRHkNXGzJwYILVs6yuh4lLkshs3iz660VKSj2=w1233-h925-no
 
Back
Top Bottom