Need some advice, a bit torn about what to do with my SS

Anteater

Active member
Sometimes you can't see the wood for the tree's...... Been an 'interesting' couple of years at Anteater towers and bikes haven't been at the front of my mind for several reasons which have been beyond my control.

Anyway, my darling wife pointed out at the weekend that in her opinion I'm miserable (probably nothing new there then) but she meant unhappy miserable rather than just being Scottish :roll eyes:

So, bottom line; I still miss racing.

Period.


I've gotten fat, unfit and don't have my mojo. Life needs to change.

Which is where the dilemma comes in, I've always said the SS800 is a keeper and thats always been the case, but I don't think I can't use it on track now, the lightweight class has moved on, super twins have taken over from minitwins and the SS does not comply with super twin rules.

So, I think I need a race bike, so don't want to sell the Ducati but with two kids I need to watch the penny's so in a total quandary what to do here. If only I could mod the SS to keep up with the rules...

So, dilemma time, suck it up or sell up and use the money towards a lightweight class bike, or Sound of Thunder or a ZXR in pre-injection 1200's.

Anybody who has gave up something they love and went back to it years later? Your advice is appreciated, I think I want to do this but am I looking at the past with rose tinted secs?

Getting bike fit will be a challenge on its own, but like I said, my life needs to change for the better. Going round in circles hanging of a motorcycle with an ambulance available in 90 seconds is still the most life affirming thing I've ever been involved in

The bike currently looks like this;
2183_zpsee4a0acb.jpg


But could be back to looking like this with a days work;
DSCF0612.jpg

Except is got the Remus / Ducati Performance end cans now (stock silencers too in the loft)

Any ideas as to what the SS is worth?
3700 ish miles
lots of good quality mods like Barnett Clutch, uprated clutch slave cylinder, Hel brake lines etc, Öhlins rear shock etc its a well sorted piece of kit.

Any input appreciated, this has always been a good place for friendly, sensible and positive advice

Ta

Alex
 
Last edited:
Sometimes you can't see the wood for the tree's......So, bottom line; I still miss racing.

Period.

Going round in circles hanging of a motorcycle with an ambulance available in 90 seconds is still the most life affirming thing I've ever been involved in

I think you've answered your own question, buddy! :rolleyes:

How you do it is up to you and your circumstances, but important thing is doing it! :D
 
Tell me more...............

I take it you mean the bike and not my couple of annus horribilis' :)

I bought the SS in August 2009 and striped all the road gear off it. I then clamped and bolted on a race fairing (no frame mods or any components damaged in the process) as documented in my minitwin build thread here;

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/showthread.php?11515-800SS-Minitwin-Build-Thread
Apparently this thread is pretty widely known around the net judging by the various people who have contacted me over the years.

Pretty much no sensible expense was spared in the build and lots of research done;- hence items like a power commander III installed, Barnett clutch Oberon slave cylinder, HEL lines, race rearsets I've got three different rear sprockets and two fronts.

The shock is Ohlins and the front forks were reworked by Grant Racing

I've got all the road kit, full fairing, rearsets, original mirrors, indicators, stock exhausts, passenger foot rests - everything all bubble wrapped and pristine as it was the day I took it off the bike.

I did 7 days on the bike in total and zero practice days which works out including qualifying as 650 miles riding in total. During which time the fully synth oil was changed 4 times. (Sat / Sun then an oil change)

I stopped racing the bike as things weren't going great for me and I couldn't commit to doing it properly, so it got an oil change and parked up for a while in the garage.

Should say I never crashed the bike when racing it - not once and not a single issue. I did however have a comedy drop at the Boness Hill climb in 2010 which damaged a crash bung, bar end weight and a race seat unit. Like I said comedy 10mph crash and raced the next weekend


The I decided to turn it into a road bike, thread here;
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/showthread.php?14752-Return-of-the-Mac-SS&highlight=

I've spent £120 on Senna grey paint the same shade as the original fairings which I sready to go on and I've got a brand new pair of belts from DG to put on. Other items needing done are road friendly brake pads (still got track pads in the callipers) and road biased tyres as the bike is wearing Bridgestone R10's (fantastic rubber) and an MOT for road use.


All my bikes are prepped properly and looked after right, I've sold my last 4 bikes to racers all have been chuffed to bits with what they got from me and I've build most of them myself including a ZXR 400 from a frame only, generally if its done its done right.

The bike can be easily turned back to standard, everything is here.

Question is should I finish the build as intended or return to standard?
 
Back to standard and pm me a price, probably above my budget though sadly, love the Senna colour scheme
 
Back
Top Bottom