Noises off!

schrimy

New member
Hello Chaps. Now you will all of course know that I have recently rescued a 97 750ss from the back of a garage where it had been languishing for the last seven years. Pictures of this are on the 'Advice please 750ss' thread.
Having got it running nicely I have been pottering around on it and have been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to ride, except that the carbs still catch me out a bit as the accelerator pumps need little prompting to squirt fuel into the engine so I have had to develop a gentle hand.
It is however very noisy and I don't just mean the intake and exhaust. It seems to create lots of whirring, clonking, rumbling and chain noise. I know that the fairing will tend to reflect some noise back to the rider as my ST suffers from the same affliction. The SS however is allot noisier. I had put this down to it being an air cooled engine therefore not benefiting from the sound deadening effects of a water jacket.
Last week I decide to take of the fairing just to make sure I had tightened all the nuts and bolts during putting it all back together. Whilst I was doing this I decided that I would fix those bloody stupid well nuts that live in the black extension tubes that the back of the fairing fastens into, just in front of your knees, you know the ones! No amount of refitting and tightening made any difference they still did not hold the fairing particularly well. You could just pull the fairing aside with one finger. So I 'Araldited' the little buggers into the tubes and left it to set overnight putting the fairing back on the next day. This time the nuts held the fairing very well indeed.
I thought nothing of this until yesterday and today when I have had another opportunity to go for a potter, Yesterday I went to visit a friend and had the misfortune to end up at Squires for the most expensive and foul cup of tea I had had in a long time. On the way there I was surprised how quiet the bike was. I put this down to me getting some miles in on it, or was it wind direction?
Then whilst pondering how tea could be so bad, I remembered fixing the fairing bolts, could this be the answer? Today I had a quick pootle over to the cultural center of west Yorkshire that is Batley! (Avoiding Cleckheaton of course :lol2: ) and my ears do not deceive me, the bike is 50% quieter than it was previously. Now do we think this could be down to Aralditing the well nuts into the tubes or something else?
 
Back
Top Bottom