The Road King.
I’d never ever ridden a Harley Davidson, never ever even sat on one, I was a complete and utter HD virgin until I took the Multi V4S in for its first service and the dealer told me it was going to be a 4 hour wait while it was being done and would I like to take anything out for a test ride to pass the time. Now this is a multi-franchise dealer, HD, Triumph & Ducati and HD is by far the biggest part of their business judging by Hotel much showroom floor space is given over to HDs and how many HD bikes they have in there at any one time (20 or so) compared to the Ducati area (3-4 bikes
). So, so told him aid never ridden a Harley and asked if I could take one out. ‘Sure thing’ he replies and he big is to wheel this fecking great big blue caravan out of the showroom
. I follow him with not a little trepidation, OMG, it’s fooking massive. I’m only just beginning to get used to the size of the Multi.
He props it up on its side stand, shows me where I have to touch the screen in order to get it to start, shows me where the control is for the music (I don’t even want the music on), starts it, stops it and saunters back inside.
Was I paying attention? Clearly not, I was still in shock at the actual size of the beast. I walk around to the left hand side of it and try to find the button or whatever it was he pressed to turn it on. Hmmm, no
. I find the starter button on the right hand side, well I think it’s the starter button, press it nothing. I can’t even get the dash to turn on
. So after 2 minutes of stabbing and pressing various things to no avail I embarrassingly have to go back inside and ask “ err, Derek, how did you start it?”
.
This time I pay attention. The thing is keyless - well I got that part first off - in the middle of the bars is a mahoosive knob with an old style disklock lock in the middle of it, you know the sort of lock you see scallywags on YouTube busting open with an old Bic biro in about 5 seconds, well you have to turn that first off, then the electronic dash comes to life. This bike has both an electronic dash - actually it’s more of a touch screen ICE that you find in cars - plus the oldy worldy, analogue dials.
The first thing that happens is that music starts blaring out of the speakers (and I still don’t note where the control is to turn it down) and the screen displays a message along the lines of
“You are responsible for the operation of this motorcycle, you will obey all traffic signs and regulations, you accept that Harley Davidson are in no way liable for any of your actions or consequences thereof whilst you are riding this motorcycle and you absolve HD of any and all liability” or words to that effect. You then have to press the screen in the correct place to ‘accept’ there’s trend and conditions. Then, and only then, will the starter button be powered up and you can actually press it and start the thing. Don’t you just love the litigious society that is America?
Now I’ve got it started and can sit astride it and head off into the day
. Except you don’t sit astride it you sit in it, and I mean really in it. I swing a leg over, went to sit down, and went down and down and down, the seat is so low
. I pull the clutch in, put it into first KER-CLUNK it sounds like an articulated lorry has just smacked into the back of a tractor as the gear engages. Release the clutch, begin to pull away, wobble a bit, well wobble a lot actually, go to lift my feet up off the ground and put them on the running boards only to realise this is the most perverse riding position ever. My knees are now higher than my hips. If you can imagine sitting on a lavatory, reading a book, where the seat is 6” off the ground, that’s the riding position.
I wobble out of the car park and onto the road and up to the traffic lights. I still can’t turn the feckng music off which is now blaring out whilst Im stationary at the lights and everyone is looking at the tit in a Ducati Corse jacket on a Harley with unnecessarily loud music blaring out. All I could manage to do was change the source of the music to a radio wavelength that wasn’t broadcasting so that onlookers weren’t sure if the static they could now hear was part of the HD engine symphony or not
.
Lights change and off we go. KER-CLUUNNKKKK first gear engaged and we’re away. I work my way through the industrial estate to get out onto the open road, KER-CLUNK, KER-CLUNNJKKKK, as each gear is engaged, talk about agricultural, and then I spy a suitable location for a photo-shoot as, IMO, HDs are fashion statements more so than any other marque.
A few photos there and a chance to have a look over the bike away from the dealer’s premises. This is a Road-King, I guess it’s not a bad looking motorcycle but it’s not really my cup of tea, it’s a bit sort of old man Son’s of Anarchy-ish.
Anyway, off on a 45 min bimble out into the countryside, m-way, N (A) roads and traffic. Once I get used to the bulk it’s not as bad as first impressions. There’s loads of torque, no point at all in revving the nuts off it, but it’s a bit like driving a car, there were loads of opportunities where a bike should/could overtake but this thing is a) so wide and b) so slow on the pick up and acceleration, I didn’t feel safe in doing the overtake so I just sat there as one would have to a car. Apart from which I was now getting a pain my lower back from that awful riding position
. This was not comfortable.
To overcome the pain I tried to stretch my back out and leaned back against the small backrest, now my arms had to be out completely straight to reach the bars but at least the pain was rescinding in my lower back.
As I’m riding along I’m really trying to get to grips with the heel/toe gear changes they have on HDs, well weird compared to ‘normal’ bike’s but I guess, as with anything, one gets used to it.
Seeing that photo reminds me, the side stand. The first time I pulled over for my little photo shoot, I put the side stand out, it touched down, I went to get off the bike but the bike kept going over to the left, and kept going and kept going. I really thought I was going to drop it and it would end up on its side and Joe on Earth would I be able to get it upright again, let alone what it’s going to cost me
. But, phew, no, thankfully. It just has a weird stand arrangement whereby the stand touches the road but then, I don’t know if it’s the sheer weight of the bike or what, it just continues leaning another 15 degrees or so until it settles on the stand - most disconcerting the first few times.
Speaking of damage of it did fall over, although it has crash bars fitted they don’t extend as wide as the barn door that is the front fairing so aim not sure what they’re designed to protect. Also the perma-fitted panniers on the rear look to be extremely expensive items if one needs to replace them.
Speaking of the barn door front fairing, despite its astronomical size the wind protection is poor and everything from my chest upwards was in the same wind blast as if on a naked bike. The screen on the Multi is much much better. However, it probably all works if you ride it as you’re supposed to ride it as I found out later but read on.
As seems to always be the way when I take a bike out on a test ride I get caught having to put some fuel in it
. I don’t understand why, on the HD, there’s flap AND a cap
. You have to unlock the flap which open to reveal an old style screw on/off fuel cap. I can see that getting left behind at filling stations as people just push the flap closed & lock it but maybe they’re all like that do your normal HD rider is used to it.
Back to the dealer and the first thing that happens is I burn my leg on the exhaust which is right there, no protection, right where you put your feet down, ouch, how daft is that?
In fact Trevor, the fella with a Harley Tri-Glide on the recent tour, has burn marks all over his jeans from his - a mark of pride I guess.
Anyway, the dealer asks me how I got on. I politely tell him it’s not for me. Note this guy’s Harley through and through, from the boots on his feet to the beard and hair on his head, complete with the tats, the full 9 yards, so I was polite. However, I did have to tell him about the riding position and my now aching twinging back, when he informs me I’m riding it all wrong. I should lean back, I should have my arms out straight, I should have my feet off the running boards and my legs out straight with my feet on the bars at the front which are there as ‘Highway pegs’. The way he described it I can only picture the riding position as akin to sitting on a sun lounger with your arms fully outstretched as you try to read your book because you’ve forgotten your reading glasses; certainly in that position the barn door fairing would be better as you’d be lying down behind it.
In summary I get how it would all work a US Highway cruising along at 55mph in a reclined position with music playing but I don’t get how it all works here in ROI, or the UK or anywhere else in Europe where roads a bit squillyier.
I won’t say never but it’s not really for me.
The Pan-America.
On my return the Multi still wasn’t ready so, despite me telling the dealer I didn’t really like the Road King, he gave me the keys to the Pan-America that sat outside.
A completely different, and IMO, normal riding position, much more comfortable and feeling at home straight away. This is a hell of a lot lighter and having just come off the Road King feels like a 125cc. It’s still a v-twin but water cooled and much revvier than the RK, fact it thrives on revs. It’s an adventure bike style but the tank is a lot lot narrower than the usual adventure bike style, just like a normal bike’s, so the whole bike seems much smaller.
I only had it for about 15 mins just enough time to nip through the industrial estate to the same photo shoot spot and snap a few pics.
As I’m doing so a fella in a big black BMW on the other side of the road stops and lowers his window
“Is that bike for sale mate?”
“No, I’m in a test ride, just taking done photos for me review.”
“Oh, what is it? A KTM?”
I can see why he might think that due to the colour but reply
“No, it’s a Harley.”
At which he just closed the window and drove off, ‘nuff said I guess.
A few more photos then back to the dealer.
Including a photo of the obligatory bit that’s vibrated off a Harley
Only kidding on that one

I have to admit I was very pleasantly surprised by the Pan America. I’d like to have it for a proper test ride to see how it really compares, I know it won’t be a patch on the Multi (or a GS) and I strongly suspect that whilst it has all the tech of the latest iterations of those two bikes it won’t be as good but until I try I won’t know for definite. It won’t make me change the Multi as I’m biased but, cards on the table, first impressions, it’s a good bike and I can see it taking sales from BMW other European manufacturers in the US simply on nationalistic pride.
Finally, when I got back this was parked outside.
Now, to me, this is a pukka Harley
- maybe in another few years
.
I’d never ever ridden a Harley Davidson, never ever even sat on one, I was a complete and utter HD virgin until I took the Multi V4S in for its first service and the dealer told me it was going to be a 4 hour wait while it was being done and would I like to take anything out for a test ride to pass the time. Now this is a multi-franchise dealer, HD, Triumph & Ducati and HD is by far the biggest part of their business judging by Hotel much showroom floor space is given over to HDs and how many HD bikes they have in there at any one time (20 or so) compared to the Ducati area (3-4 bikes
He props it up on its side stand, shows me where I have to touch the screen in order to get it to start, shows me where the control is for the music (I don’t even want the music on), starts it, stops it and saunters back inside.
Was I paying attention? Clearly not, I was still in shock at the actual size of the beast. I walk around to the left hand side of it and try to find the button or whatever it was he pressed to turn it on. Hmmm, no
This time I pay attention. The thing is keyless - well I got that part first off - in the middle of the bars is a mahoosive knob with an old style disklock lock in the middle of it, you know the sort of lock you see scallywags on YouTube busting open with an old Bic biro in about 5 seconds, well you have to turn that first off, then the electronic dash comes to life. This bike has both an electronic dash - actually it’s more of a touch screen ICE that you find in cars - plus the oldy worldy, analogue dials.
The first thing that happens is that music starts blaring out of the speakers (and I still don’t note where the control is to turn it down) and the screen displays a message along the lines of
“You are responsible for the operation of this motorcycle, you will obey all traffic signs and regulations, you accept that Harley Davidson are in no way liable for any of your actions or consequences thereof whilst you are riding this motorcycle and you absolve HD of any and all liability” or words to that effect. You then have to press the screen in the correct place to ‘accept’ there’s trend and conditions. Then, and only then, will the starter button be powered up and you can actually press it and start the thing. Don’t you just love the litigious society that is America?
Now I’ve got it started and can sit astride it and head off into the day
I wobble out of the car park and onto the road and up to the traffic lights. I still can’t turn the feckng music off which is now blaring out whilst Im stationary at the lights and everyone is looking at the tit in a Ducati Corse jacket on a Harley with unnecessarily loud music blaring out. All I could manage to do was change the source of the music to a radio wavelength that wasn’t broadcasting so that onlookers weren’t sure if the static they could now hear was part of the HD engine symphony or not
Lights change and off we go. KER-CLUUNNKKKK first gear engaged and we’re away. I work my way through the industrial estate to get out onto the open road, KER-CLUNK, KER-CLUNNJKKKK, as each gear is engaged, talk about agricultural, and then I spy a suitable location for a photo-shoot as, IMO, HDs are fashion statements more so than any other marque.
A few photos there and a chance to have a look over the bike away from the dealer’s premises. This is a Road-King, I guess it’s not a bad looking motorcycle but it’s not really my cup of tea, it’s a bit sort of old man Son’s of Anarchy-ish.
Anyway, off on a 45 min bimble out into the countryside, m-way, N (A) roads and traffic. Once I get used to the bulk it’s not as bad as first impressions. There’s loads of torque, no point at all in revving the nuts off it, but it’s a bit like driving a car, there were loads of opportunities where a bike should/could overtake but this thing is a) so wide and b) so slow on the pick up and acceleration, I didn’t feel safe in doing the overtake so I just sat there as one would have to a car. Apart from which I was now getting a pain my lower back from that awful riding position
To overcome the pain I tried to stretch my back out and leaned back against the small backrest, now my arms had to be out completely straight to reach the bars but at least the pain was rescinding in my lower back.
As I’m riding along I’m really trying to get to grips with the heel/toe gear changes they have on HDs, well weird compared to ‘normal’ bike’s but I guess, as with anything, one gets used to it.
Seeing that photo reminds me, the side stand. The first time I pulled over for my little photo shoot, I put the side stand out, it touched down, I went to get off the bike but the bike kept going over to the left, and kept going and kept going. I really thought I was going to drop it and it would end up on its side and Joe on Earth would I be able to get it upright again, let alone what it’s going to cost me
Speaking of damage of it did fall over, although it has crash bars fitted they don’t extend as wide as the barn door that is the front fairing so aim not sure what they’re designed to protect. Also the perma-fitted panniers on the rear look to be extremely expensive items if one needs to replace them.
Speaking of the barn door front fairing, despite its astronomical size the wind protection is poor and everything from my chest upwards was in the same wind blast as if on a naked bike. The screen on the Multi is much much better. However, it probably all works if you ride it as you’re supposed to ride it as I found out later but read on.
As seems to always be the way when I take a bike out on a test ride I get caught having to put some fuel in it
Back to the dealer and the first thing that happens is I burn my leg on the exhaust which is right there, no protection, right where you put your feet down, ouch, how daft is that?
In fact Trevor, the fella with a Harley Tri-Glide on the recent tour, has burn marks all over his jeans from his - a mark of pride I guess.
Anyway, the dealer asks me how I got on. I politely tell him it’s not for me. Note this guy’s Harley through and through, from the boots on his feet to the beard and hair on his head, complete with the tats, the full 9 yards, so I was polite. However, I did have to tell him about the riding position and my now aching twinging back, when he informs me I’m riding it all wrong. I should lean back, I should have my arms out straight, I should have my feet off the running boards and my legs out straight with my feet on the bars at the front which are there as ‘Highway pegs’. The way he described it I can only picture the riding position as akin to sitting on a sun lounger with your arms fully outstretched as you try to read your book because you’ve forgotten your reading glasses; certainly in that position the barn door fairing would be better as you’d be lying down behind it.
In summary I get how it would all work a US Highway cruising along at 55mph in a reclined position with music playing but I don’t get how it all works here in ROI, or the UK or anywhere else in Europe where roads a bit squillyier.
I won’t say never but it’s not really for me.
The Pan-America.
On my return the Multi still wasn’t ready so, despite me telling the dealer I didn’t really like the Road King, he gave me the keys to the Pan-America that sat outside.
A completely different, and IMO, normal riding position, much more comfortable and feeling at home straight away. This is a hell of a lot lighter and having just come off the Road King feels like a 125cc. It’s still a v-twin but water cooled and much revvier than the RK, fact it thrives on revs. It’s an adventure bike style but the tank is a lot lot narrower than the usual adventure bike style, just like a normal bike’s, so the whole bike seems much smaller.
I only had it for about 15 mins just enough time to nip through the industrial estate to the same photo shoot spot and snap a few pics.
As I’m doing so a fella in a big black BMW on the other side of the road stops and lowers his window
“Is that bike for sale mate?”
“No, I’m in a test ride, just taking done photos for me review.”
“Oh, what is it? A KTM?”
I can see why he might think that due to the colour but reply
“No, it’s a Harley.”
At which he just closed the window and drove off, ‘nuff said I guess.
A few more photos then back to the dealer.
Including a photo of the obligatory bit that’s vibrated off a Harley
Only kidding on that one
I have to admit I was very pleasantly surprised by the Pan America. I’d like to have it for a proper test ride to see how it really compares, I know it won’t be a patch on the Multi (or a GS) and I strongly suspect that whilst it has all the tech of the latest iterations of those two bikes it won’t be as good but until I try I won’t know for definite. It won’t make me change the Multi as I’m biased but, cards on the table, first impressions, it’s a good bike and I can see it taking sales from BMW other European manufacturers in the US simply on nationalistic pride.
Finally, when I got back this was parked outside.
Now, to me, this is a pukka Harley