Postage charges

Geoff

New member
As some know working on several projects requiring parts from many sources and countries. Still can’t get my head around why we pay so much. Eg
1: four way pendant for installation of my rf transmitter. Weight 300grams costing £7 postage free. Country China ordered on the 12th. Arrived yesterday.
2: carbide inserts for my lathe. Country UK in stock. Weight 100 grams costing £110 postage £5 ordered on the 12th. Arrived yesterday.
3: flanged linear bearings. Country Germany. Cost £25 Weight 600grams. Postage free. Delivery two days.
4: Stainless tubes. Country UK. Weight 1.1kg costing £20. Delivery £15. Delivery three days.
5: didn’t order but quoted. Stainless fasteners costing £0.98 weighing around 30grams Delivery £4.95
Highlands and Islands require a bank loan for postage.

So basically items ordered from China arrive at the same time as UK items which you pay postage for. On the whole find it very annoying.
 
I ordered beer from an online firm for Christmas. Orders over £50 were allegedly post free, until I entered my postcode. They then wanted an additional £9.00 for carriage. Yet residents in Dundee could get free delivery as could those in Aberdeen. The A90 between Dundee and Aberdeen is only 1/2 a mile from my house! :mad:
I took my order elsewhere.
 
Postage is a major consideration now. There was a time when I used to get all my parts from Australia (Vee Two, Road and Race) but since the demise of EconoAir and the poor exchange rate, it is just not economical to do so.
 
Last year purchased an item from a London company brought in from America. When I entered my address nothing recognised and phoned them. Turns out they stopped delivery at the Scottish border basically Carlisle. Maybe they think Hadrian’s wall still standing ! It was heavy at around 30kg but re directed to a London address and had it reposted. Mental.
 
Back
Top Bottom