Quiet Clutch

Symbad

New member
Hey guys, I've just been told by a fellow DUN member that there is a mod to help keep the noise down on a dry clutch? I'm intriged to know how I can get hold of one of these "mods"? It's for a 2002 750s.

I'm new to this can u tell? LOL!
 
I think I was the instigator of the Quiet Clutch Mod on this forum.

Here is a link for a HOW TO.

The article calls for 2 old friction plates at the bottom of the stack but I found one to be sufficient and I also removed one of the plain plates from the bottom of the stack. The main thing is to get the stack height right so that the outside plate doesn't fall off the end of the drum when you pull the lever and that you get sufficient lift that the clutch doesn't drag making neutral selection difficult.
I now have nearly 26,000 miles on the original clutch and there is negligible wear on the tabs and basket and I hope to get well over 30,000 before the friction material wears out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Very easy to to. Just watch out when re-assembling not to over tighten the M5 socket screws that hold the springs in. The posts are very easily sheared off. Just nip up the screws and make sure they are snug and that's enough.
 
...but why ? is it not part of the charm ?

wot next ? how to remove Termis ?

Not In My Shed !!! No Sir !!!

(signed)
Happy Rorty, Rattley 916 Owner.
 
It's a good point but my point is why do they have to rattle? surely the guy that bought the first ever Ducati must've thought "hang on I bought this brand new and the bugger rattles!.... I'm takin it back!" but obviously he must've put up with it and the rest is history and hey presto! The Ducati is born as we know it.

Am I missing something with this "expected rattle"
 
Personally, I don't like the rattle. It's there because there is excessive clearance between the tabs on the plates and the slots in the basket. Since the idle speed is not constant but varies with each firing pulse this clearance allows the clutch pack to chatter back and forth and make that horrible clatter. The more it clatters the more it wears and the noise gets even worse. That noise is the clutch battering itself to self-destruction.
Eventually the tab will get so worn that you need to replace the plates before they have worn out and then you find the slots in the basket have grooved where the tabs bear against them making for a sticky clutch action, so you need a new basket as well.
Being a tight skinflint I've no intention of spending money that I don't need to so I'm very happy to do away with the noise.
With an open cover the clutch still "jingles" very nicely when you pull the lever though :)
These clutch parts had done just under 25,000 miles when the pictures were taken. It is an alloy basket with alloy plates.

tabs.jpg


Clutch2.jpg
 
...but why ? is it not part of the charm ?

wot next ? how to remove Termis ?

Not In My Shed !!! No Sir !!!

(signed)
Happy Rorty, Rattley 916 Owner.


I would agree with VMT - that's part of the charm,...is it not!!:p

My suggestion is keep it as it is,...mucking about with something you don know about may bring you grief.:eek:

I bought a 999R and the clutch was knackered,...noticed it when I drove it home from DG, and the bike only did 7.500 miles,..someone was mucking about with it.:eek:

Just my thoughts though.
David
 
Quiet Clutch Update

I used the bike to ride to work today and thought that the clutch felt a bit grabby so tonight I hauled the plates out for a look.

This is what I found:
100_1539.JPG


Time for a new set of plates I think.
Still, can't complain it has done 5 miles short of 30,800 miles which I think is not bad for any Ducati clutch.
The plates and drum are alloy and as you can see the tabs are practically unworn and more importantly so are the slots in the drum.
100_1541.JPG


I'll be retaining the quiet clutch mod when I fit the new plates.
 
I used the bike to ride to work today and thought that the clutch felt a bit grabby so tonight I hauled the plates out for a look.

This is what I found:
[qimg]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_GJSWbMNvOI8/S-RtoCJey6I/AAAAAAAAAso/tj7V7GxYwa8/s720/100_1539.JPG[/qimg]

Time for a new set of plates I think.
Still, can't complain it has done 5 miles short of 30,800 miles which I think is not bad for any Ducati clutch.
The plates and drum are alloy and as you can see the tabs are practically unworn and more importantly so are the slots in the drum.
[qimg]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_GJSWbMNvOI8/S-RtoiEIT8I/AAAAAAAAAss/70CGqdpfIzU/s512/100_1541.JPG[/qimg]

I'll be retaining the quiet clutch mod when I fit the new plates.
good for you Derek, everyone to his own. I think your mod should be standard fitment and for anyone wanting a quiet clutch then its the way to go.
mine rattles like a bag of nails with an open cover and i've done 26,000 with it, it makes me smile every time I start it up so i'm going to stick with the noisy one
 
Hey guys, I've just been told by a fellow DUN member that there is a mod to help keep the noise down on a dry clutch? I'm intriged to know how I can get hold of one of these "mods"? It's for a 2002 750s.

I'm new to this can u tell? LOL!

A 750s (as in fuel-injected SSie) has a wet clutch a la 620s and 800ssie/800 Sport.
 
Here, here.

Each to his own but I'm absolutely with Derek on this one. All the noise is the result of the clutch tabs bashing the basket and the tabs bashing the basket result in premature wear of both.

We have to accept that some folk hear the sound of metal bashing metal as 'music' but it's interesting how scornful they often are about those with more mechanical sympathy.
 
I don't see why the quiet clutch mod shouldn't be applied to a 750 SS wet clutch....

Lean the bike well over to the left and you may not need to drain the oil.
 
Back
Top Bottom