Advice needed!

GSpot

New member
As some of you know I'm hoping to go racing next year in scotland currently saving up and trying to get myself organised.
So I'm looking for advice on a couple of things

Racing class. Can't afford to race my 848 so I'm thinking either pre-injection 600's, mini twins .
sound of thunder or Club man class is probably a push for my first season.

Race bike. Obviously dependant on the class selected but looking at all the classes I think the ducatis seem to be either be uncompetitive or super money getting thrown at them to make them competitive. Obviously I've looked at gumtree and eBay but is there anywhere else to get 2nd race bikes online?

Fingers crossed my dream of racing can come true any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
 
Not been following racing for a long time suppose I never did follow the two wheeled racing but enjoyed the battle of the twins series and sound of the singles after that.
The mini twins sounds like something up and coming to get into, my neighbour who used to race solo is going to prep one for his son also known as Stevie Curie for next season.
As for a second hand race bike unless the motor has been rebuilt why buy something that has been thrashed all season (have a worn out t-shirt for that one) buy a bike sell what you dont need on flea bay. Ragged edge racing will do a good race fairing for not a lot o money.
Good engine prep new tyres, overhaul the brakes and suspension get a copy of Max McAllisters book Suspension for Mortlas will give you a good base line to start with, Change your oil on a regular basis and a hand full of sprockets always comes in handy as well. A reliable van would also be helpfull keeps things dry and doubles up as sleeeping accomodation. p.s. a sense of humour and deep pockets also come in handy during the times of gloom!
 
I currently race in the scottish championships in the 600 superstock class
Whatever you choose ull have a blast cos its immense fun
Buy the best bike you can afford with all the trick bits on it if you can
I started in the 400s and moved to the 600
Its a great class i just prefer the bigger bike. First thing to do is contact dianne at melville race club to book into the sacu licence day. Youll need to get an eyetest too once u have your licence form
Then go find a bike
 
I just sold my NC30 racebike last week as I wasn't using it anymore.
Keep looking, someone will have something tucked away
...Ebay is not really your freind either.
 
the melville club should be able to help you find something. or once youve decided what you are looking for and your price range, contact a lot of dealers to see if they have been offered anything like that or if they have an old plug that isnt worth retail to them, but they might be willing to sell on a no warranty sold as seen scenario. Some shops like mine have a notice board so there will be various bikes on them and be prepared to travel to find what you need. Oh and finally make sure it is legitimate. the police have been attending meetings and taking stolen bikes over the last few years
 
I raced in the 600 supersport class a couple of years back at E. Fortune and Knockhill amongst other things you will need..
Transponder,(sometimes you can hire them) Tyre warmers, spare wheels with wet tyres, generator, dog tags.....
I bought race bikes through classifieds in Bike Sport News, as mentioned by others check V5 as the police will take your bike off you if it's been nicked.
Unless you are very rich pick the cheapest class as someone will always out do you on the trick bits or turn up with a brand new bike every other meeting.
Have fun!
 
Thanks guys I'm probably a couple of months away having enough cash to get myself a bike. We are in the process of buying a house so that's currently costing us a fortune.
 
G. As said you'd be better with a kawa or gsxr,
They won't break down as much as a Ducati would under race conditions.
But when you're ready maybe look at an Aprilia rsv,
Every bit as good as the Ducati at a fraction
of the cost.
Knockhill had a fleet of them for their racing school until recently
..
 
Well an update on my plans for next season!
Trawling through forums/eBay/gumtree trying to get an idea of the options out there! I'll not be buying the bike until february! Currently saving like made for a new house and racing budget!
Got a couple people offering their help which is fantastic and appreciated! Ive got an offer of sharing an awning! Met with Ian Hutchsion last week got some good tips, visited Paul Birds BSB and motogp CRT workshop which was awesome.
Got my eye test certificate last week for my racing licence and just need to wait til my ankle is fixed before getting my medical!!

So it's gonna be a long winter but I'm already looking forward to next spring/summer.
 
might be able to put you in touch with a customer who is selling his 600 race bike, dont think he is in too much of a rush so could be just the thing for you. It could be worth looking at just to see what sort of things are available. Mind you he is a Fifer!!!
 
might be able to put you in touch with a customer who is selling his 600 race bike, dont think he is in too much of a rush so could be just the thing for you. It could be worth looking at just to see what sort of things are available. Mind you he is a Fifer!!!
Haha nobody's perfect. Sounds good thanks mate!
 
Well an update on my plans for next season!
Trawling through forums/eBay/gumtree trying to get an idea of the options out there! I'll not be buying the bike until february! Currently saving like made for a new house and racing budget!
Got a couple people offering their help which is fantastic and appreciated! Ive got an offer of sharing an awning! Met with Ian Hutchsion last week got some good tips, visited Paul Birds BSB and motogp CRT workshop which was awesome.
Got my eye test certificate last week for my racing licence and just need to wait til my ankle is fixed before getting my medical!!

So it's gonna be a long winter but I'm already looking forward to next spring/summer.

what medical?
 
You will find lots of race bikes for sale on Motoforum, but they have had some malware problems on that site recently. Dont be put off buying a used race bike, race bikes are looked after better than road bikes could ever hope to be (oil changed after every 100miles or less,engine refreshes etc), and generally the big bucks have already been spent on them, ie shock, cartridge kit in forks, full system etc. I would also consider when buying a 400 or pi600 the age of the bikes, i got rid of my zxr400 because it started letting me down a couple of times, and once you have had to split cranckcases to change gearboxes once or twice a season the ££££s are starting to rack up, this is old bike problems that you wouldnt have with a newer machine.
 
You will find lots of race bikes for sale on Motoforum, but they have had some malware problems on that site recently. Dont be put off buying a used race bike, race bikes are looked after better than road bikes could ever hope to be (oil changed after every 100miles or less,engine refreshes etc), and generally the big bucks have already been spent on them, ie shock, cartridge kit in forks, full system etc. I would also consider when buying a 400 or pi600 the age of the bikes, i got rid of my zxr400 because it started letting me down a couple of times, and once you have had to split cranckcases to change gearboxes once or twice a season the ££££s are starting to rack up, this is old bike problems that you wouldnt have with a newer machine.
Thanks, I've been on that site a lot recently some great bikes kicking around. I agree the race bikes ive seen all seem to be well looked after. Got my licence forms organised just get Christmas out the way and we'll see what pound notes we have left!!
I think mini-twins is the plan for 2013.
 
Got my licence forms organised just get Christmas out the way and we'll see what pound notes we have left!!
I think mini-twins is the plan for 2013.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:


More importantly have you thought about race colour scheme and where you are gonna stick the SDC logos??????
:whistle:
 
Graham I was doing a job for Tasker Racing the other day and the years of racing they've had and the house full of trophys is impressive. I'm sure you've had a chat with loads of current racers but just a thought. Www.taskerracing.co.UK or .com can't remember :)
 
Back
Top Bottom