How Far Is Too Far?

Longest day I ever did was 1150km on mostly motorway on my gs1200 arrived fresh and even left the hotel to get dinner on my own but I know the West Coast and my drive was nothing like the west of Ireland 👀View attachment 29461
More like a Blitzkrieg on the GS.
Quick technical question, how many tank tracks did you go through?
 
Last edited:
If you do this you will need someone following the group with a back up vehicle with tools, supplies etc, on the other forum there is this really technical genius with an ideal vehicle, it’s some sort of Motor Home I believe ( with plenty of ventilation for hot days in Ireland )

Yes...and he could smooth out any legal issues along the way.
 
If you do this you will need someone following the group with a back up vehicle with tools, supplies etc, on the other forum there is this really technical genius with an ideal vehicle, it’s some sort of Motor Home I believe ( with plenty of ventilation for hot days in Ireland )
Yep, you’re right and I’ll organise the back up van.
Who’s the fella on the other Forum? are you referring to Skitzy?
I may even mention it over there, see if anyone comes forward, which I doubt.
 
I've got this mad idea to organise a charity ride from the top of Ireland to the South, in one day 😯. It's not the most direct route as it takes in some of the Wild Atlantic Way so it's 1000km, 14Hrs, according to Calimoto - doable or too far? What's everyone think?

View attachment 29459
I agree with you but one mamil did it in a little over 19hrs, albeit the shortest most direct route. I can’t have a mamil doing it quicker than a biker.
It’s easily doable by motorcycle, particularly on your V4 hell I’d do that on my KTM and that has no screen . I’ve done 420 around Wales in 7 hours, 600 ish should be easy 12 hours at most.

Good Luck
 
It’s easily doable by motorcycle, particularly on your V4 hell I’d do that on my KTM and that has no screen . I’ve done 420 around Wales in 7 hours, 600 ish should be easy 12 hours at most.

Good Luck
Hmm, have you seen some of the roads on the West of Ireland? 60km/h will be the average speed unless we use bits of M-way and Dual carriageway(ish). I’d like to keep it in some scenic routes and will be in the summer so there’ll be motorhomes on the roads as well 😡.

@Robarano how long did it take you to get from Sligo to Kenmare last month? and did you follow the route I gave you? I recall you said you skipped a bit of it and used some MWay🤔.
 
Hmm, have you seen some of the roads on the West of Ireland? 60km/h will be the average speed unless we use bits of M-way and Dual carriageway(ish). I’d like to keep it in some scenic routes and will be in the summer so there’ll be motorhomes on the roads as well 😡.

@Robarano how long did it take you to get from Sligo to Kenmare last month? and did you follow the route I gave you? I recall you said you skipped a bit of it and used some MWay🤔.

You referenced a cyclist doing a similar route in 19 ish hours, I‘m only a little familiar with maybe a small section of your route having been taken to a coastal village a few years back from Donegal. I can only assume it would be similar to narrow Welsh B Roads mixed with some wider sections, so still easily doable on a motorcycle IMO.

It may take longer than my estimate but then time is of secondary consideration to the experience surely, you can’t be slower than a cyclist unless you have a major mishap.

I’d have more interest in cycling that route to be honest but never say never. Just looking at a web page on the subject…

 
Last edited:
Hmm, have you seen some of the roads on the West of Ireland? 60km/h will be the average speed unless we use bits of M-way and Dual carriageway(ish). I’d like to keep it in some scenic routes and will be in the summer so there’ll be motorhomes on the roads as well 😡.

@Robarano how long did it take you to get from Sligo to Kenmare last month? and did you follow the route I gave you? I recall you said you skipped a bit of it and used some MWay🤔.

I think I was on the road from Sligo to Kenmare for about 9 1/2 hours Paul. I skipped the last portion of the route (approx 2 hours) to get to the hotel in decent time.
 
You referenced a cyclist doing a similar route in 19 ish hours, I‘m only a little familiar with maybe a small section of your route having been taken to a coastal village a few years back from Donegal. I can only assume it would be similar to narrow Welsh B Roads mixed with some wider sections, so still easily doable on a motorcycle IMO.

It may take longer than my estimate but then time is of secondary consideration to the experience surely, you can’t be slower than a cyclist unless you have a major mishap.

I’d have more interest in cycling that route to be honest but never say never. Just looking at a web page on the subject…

Interesting article that one, Thanks for the share 👍.

There’s already many a charity bicycle ride that does it, in either direction. There’s also a shorter route than the 1000km route, something of the order of 650km, and it’s that which I believe the 19hr man did it in, but that runs through the middle of the country and misses pretty much all the WAW bar the start & finish.

I’ve been thinking some more about it and taking on board the comments on here and I think a big part of it is the challenge itself. There’s 16 hrs of daylight in mid summer so it should be doable in one day - knackering but doable 👍.

ps. If you ever do decide to cycle the Mizmal you’re very welcome to start from ours (we live on the Mizen) and if needs be leave your van here for collection afterwards, or I’ll chuck a motorbike in the back and drive it up to Malin for you 👍
 
Interesting article that one, Thanks for the share 👍.

There’s already many a charity bicycle ride that does it, in either direction. There’s also a shorter route than the 1000km route, something of the order of 650km, and it’s that which I believe the 19hr man did it in, but that runs through the middle of the country and misses pretty much all the WAW bar the start & finish.

I’ve been thinking some more about it and taking on board the comments on here and I think a big part of it is the challenge itself. There’s 16 hrs of daylight in mid summer so it should be doable in one day - knackering but doable 👍.

ps. If you ever do decide to cycle the Mizmal you’re very welcome to start from ours (we live on the Mizen) and if needs be leave your van here for collection afterwards, or I’ll chuck a motorbike in the back and drive it up to Malin for you 👍

Having given some thought to this at work today i’m learning more toward a challenge type of event. How about the Mizmal on a 125 with a budget of £1K for purchase that seems like a real challenge, seems to be a cheat on a large capacity bike.

As for the cycling it has my interest, from the photos it looks a more attractive proposition than LEJOG.
 
Royal British Legion Riders do a Iron Butt challenge - last years was cancelled
but worth a look. I personally think it’s a bit too far and would be a lot more fun over two days
1000 miles is tough in one go, blimey the 1000km (600 miles) planned for this one will be tough enough. Two days would be nice but I think part of it has to be the challenge, also putting in an organised night stopover for XX riders increases the costs of organising by 50% not to mention my time.
Having given some thought to this at work today i’m learning more toward a challenge type of event. How about the Mizmal on a 125 with a budget of £1K for purchase that seems like a real challenge, seems to be a cheat on a large capacity bike.

As for the cycling it has my interest, from the photos it looks a more attractive proposition than LEJOG.
I too am back on the ‘do it one go’ track, it ought to be a bit of a challenge IMO. I’m just reworking the possible route but if I follow through with it it will be Malin to Mizen for the simple reason I can easily get home to my bed afterwards 😁, but also, it means others can turn around and do a leisurely run back along the WAW heading northwards if they so wish and N to S is really the way to travel it.

From a cyclists perspective from what I’ve now learned about LEJOG yes the route here will be more picturesque and significantly less populated with traffic.
 
Cyclist tend to do LE to JOG as the prevailing wind should be behind them, less of an issue on a motorbike but worth keeping in mind if the weather is shit the one day of the year you choose
 
Back
Top Bottom